Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best way to make a 87 gl have that new subaru sound

On my 87 gl-10 i have the stock header on there which will come off soon and be replaced with a equal length 2" twe header. Other then that its a custom 2.25 from the turbo back. Only one high flow cat in the middle and an ebay special muffler. And it has that deep rumble to it like a 2.0 rex. It gets mistaken for having a swap all the time. But i also have an intake, oversized valves, cams... you know, the good stuff ;). Most ea82 cars i hear around here with exhaust are really raspy, im glad mine is deaper. Waiting to hear it with the header and a 2.5 down pipe once i get the td04 turbo on

2.25 is as big a pipe as you would want to run on an EA82 non-turbo. Bigger than that and you loose exhaust velocity and the backpressure actually goes up, choking flow.

I tried just a cherry bomb at the back with a 2.25 straight pipe from the cat to the muffler. Too loud. Then I replaced it with a Flowmaster 40, even louder! So then I put the cherry bomb in as a resonator in the middle with the flowmaster at the back and it sounded perfect. Some growl, but not annoyingly loud.

• 1 year later...

Honestly what I did was, catless DP from my turbo, 3" exhaust to a Porter muffler and a pipe past my diff out to the stock exhaust location. and I did an electric fan conversion so I didn't have to hear that gnarly mechanical fan, and it freed up some HP.