Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP ME KEEP MY XT6!

Dear USMBers,

Please help me keep my XT6!

Love, love my black 1988 XT6 4WD. So much that I paid to store it (properly) for 10 years while I lived overseas. Ended up paying half as much for storage as I did to buy it new!

But the air suspension is finally going. I’ve already replaced one of the front air struts, and the rear driver’s side air strut has just blown. No longer available from the manufacturer, as you all know but I’ve only recently learned.

Beloved spouse has long agitated to sell the car. In view of the difficulty of finding a rear air strut, I’m beginning to lose the battle.  HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!!

I’ve posted in the marketplace here and on other sites looking for air struts AND non-air (coilover?) struts that I can use for a conversion. I understand that I need to get the latter from an XT6 2WD if I want them to bolt on at least somewhat easily.

In the meantime, I’m hoping you can help me with a question: are there any (non-air) struts that I can buy new that will fit my 1988 XT6 4WD?

Some sites claim that KYB GR-2 /EXCEL-G rear shock absorbers and strut assemblies will fit an '88 XT6 (non-air suspension).  Part number KY341063. (Would need fronts too, although these are very different, as I have recently learned.)

Will these work? Do you have any experience with finding new, non-air struts for an XT6 that will fit my 4WD?

ALSO, does anyone have spare air struts for sale, esp. for the rear driver’s side, or XT-6 2WD struts?

I'm in a bit of a panic, as my car is in the shop awaiting struts, while spouse is shopping for cars.  :( 

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

the rear strut fits the same fro any and all ea82 85-94 gl, dl, loyale, xt, rx. There is differences in length or spring based on model. I would imagine rear 05 and up impreza or 2000 and up rear struts can be modified to work, based on your goals using agx2 and coilover springs.

Impreza struts can be made to work up front, but the mounting tab to knuckle neeeds to be widened. Or you can use a whole impreza/knuckle with strut, direct bolt in, but you will need to change the inner bearing seal t match the axle, or use theimprez/legacy axle (25 splines 5mt or 4eat)

hi,

i just noticed the part about your car in a shop awaiting struts,  i am not sure this will be a quick to remedy process.  you might concider trying to get parts then take it back to them. if it's close to home you can drive it home  carefully and slow, not very comfortable either. 

as others mentioned , you can convert, but requires some modification and a combination of parts.  if you convert to coil springs  the rears struts from any 4wd sedan, xt, wagon, will fit, " note, you need 4wd rear struts, otherwise with 2wd rears your car will sit really high in back".

air replacements are quick if you can find some.

I do not have any xt6 fronts of air or otherwise.

did you post on  subaruxt.com

If I were you, I'd do some shopping and put to more reliable suspension on there. Check U-Pull-it yards - the EZ Pull and Save in New Ringgold PA would probably have everything you need.

Shopping list if I am remembering would be

93-2002 Impreza AWD (Needs to be AWD because 2WD had a different spline count)

Front struts/springs

Front Knuckles/spindle

Front axles

EA82 (85-92 wagons, coupes, sedans - GL DL Loyale)

Rear struts and springs

Bolt them in and drive something that's not going to leak and leave you feeling every bump in the road in your spinal cord.

New air struts are still available. Like four fifty each...I have two front that are still good. Rears from a set I'm using on another car. PayPal is an option for you I'm putting out there. One fifty for both with top hats to match, plus shipping.http://www.ebay.com/itm/181117060413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Edited by Quidam