Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speakers in 1986 GL Sedan

Ive done some searching and apparently in my GL sedan, I should have 4" door speakers in the front doors of my GL... (Ive also read 5-1/4" either way last time I had the door panels off they looked small... However I would like to upgrade them, but Im not the savy, make-my-own-mounting kind of person. There was a thread that said Loyale sedans used 6.5" speakers in the front doors, so if I took the mounting ring out of that and used it in my car I shouldnt run into any issues other than making sure I lined the speaker holes up correctly as they would only fit one way...

Im in the process of ordering new speakers for Ned and the rear ones I plan to replace with the size thats already sitting in there, just higher quality/not blown speakers... but the fronts Id like to upgrade to 6 or 6.5" if I can rather than buying the stock size... So Id like to order all 4 at once and tackle it in a few hours... however getting the wrong size will trump that haha

Heres one thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/52038-speaker-size/

Another:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/13969-speaker-size/

My problem is I havent seen a recent post with pictures that work that I could see what they are talking about... I know in this day and age speakers have to be getting replaced more because our cars are over 20 years old and Im sure the speakers just arent that great anymore...

Well id have to ditch those if I went with bigger speakers?

Or another question... maybe bigger isnt always better... 2 10" subwoofers sound better than 2 12" subwoofers... so would 4" speakers of good (sony/pioneer/focal) brand be just as good as 6.5" ones? Im sure whatever I put in will be better than the stock ones I've got... but ill also be installing the 12" kicker comp ingot for a steal so I'm going for overall decent sound

I did a full system in my car. I cut out the front door panels around the nylon looking speaker cover and put alpine type s 6.5's in with a half inch spacer. No clearence issues and (with lots of hush mat) it sounds great but I did bolt them directly through the metal of the door so its kinda a one time install.