Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering wheel locked!

So, I managed to loose the key for my 86' brat... The lock cylinder s we're replaced (so I can't pull the number for a new key to be made) and no dealer so far can make a key that works. I ended up taking off the plastic under the streering column and removing the two backing screws on the ignition so I can just start it with a flat head, that worked just fine and she fired right up.... but now the steering wheel is locked and I can't seem to un-lock the thing... What do I do? Thanks.

hi,

you have the most difficult situation of all,  these ign lock assembly is built so it goes around the steering column shaft. ( i'm guessing you have the tilt wheel version )  it houses the upper bearings for the steering shaft also..  if  it's the tilt wheel, you will not be able to get it off, or to do much of anything to it.   my sugestion is to consult a couple of independent locksmiths, find the guy that can make a key from scratch by the " impression method ",   it takes a guy that is pretty experienced but they can do it if you find the right guy.  they often hang around auto auctions waiting for jobs making keys to doors, ignitions and all manor of vehicles, you can ask up front if they can do it. 

the correct blank is important, there is some mixup on this in the aftermarket but it is not the same as the other 86 yr model subaru cars, your's is like the earlier 82-84 vehicles.  so the key is like the ea81 series vehicles. 

there is a way to remove the lock cyl from the lock assembly but it difficult to almost impossible with it installed ..  even if you manage to get the 4 bolts that hold it to the upper portion of the column piece off,  it still can't slide up and off because of the lock thing is still engaged in the steering shaft,     i've been through this a lot,  so find the good locksmith guy and pay him the 25-45 dollars and have several spares made, that is my best advice .   sometimes the locks are worn so bad that another key will turn them , ask friends to try their key , might get lucky.

Edited by ruparts
  • Like 1

first option: keep calling other locksmiths. Sounds like they simply think its too hard a job.

next case, unscrew the shroud around the steering column

You'll now have exposed the lock mechanism thats bolted around the shaft.

The bolts they use have special heads that snap off once they're tight enough. I'm not sure if there's 2 or 4 on these cars.

If you've got enough access to these, then get a drill & try to drill out the heads enough for the threaded part to pull through. Be careful not to go drill into the surrounds.

It may be easier to unbolt the column from the dash to drop it down.

You can buy replacements of these bolts.

With these gone, the 2 halves of the locking mech will separate & you'll be able to turn the column again.

Worst case is to cut off the locking mechanism from around the shaft, but then you'll have to buy a complete replacement...

Definitely take the advice about trying other keys. If you have any old keys to old subarus you used to have, or any friends that have old subarus, try their keys. Try them well, too. It's not so much turning pressure on the key as it is giving it a turn in one position (ie fully inserted) and then backing it out just a hair, twisting it backward and forward. You really have to play with them but chances are you'll find one that will turn.

The key for my GL works in my gf's Loyale (on the doors, the trunk, and the ignition. Not the glove box) but I have to work it a little bit before it will work.

About the locksmiths, as previously mentioned, you have to find a very old-school and experienced locksmith. Impressioning keys is basically an art-form and it is a dying one. There aren't many locksmiths that can do it anymore, but if you keep digging, you'll probably find one.

As far as the price range mentioned above, things must be waaaaaaaaaaay different out west. We would charge $100 + to impression a cylinder like that.

Sorry to hear about the crappy situation. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

hi,

comment for wagonist,  the 2 part lock assy that bolts together  is good advise but is not  what he is dealing with i don't think ,, it could be if he has a non tilt steering column.

175eya ,, as for price to impression a key , it's been a few years since i had one done,, but the rate was  35- 45 in that range then. 

i know of no other way without destroying it  other than impressioning a key,, or trying a bunch of old keys ,  if you get it to turn, and release the lock ,, you can then remove it without destroying it   but would still need to get the tumbler assembly out to make a key to fit.   there is a tiny pin that has to be removed to allow the tumbler assy to slide out, requires some expertise to do it, it is located ahead of the black plastic piece  with 2 wires, on the side of the lock barrel  , it is like the diameter of a pencil lead and is pressed in flush,  you need to look very close to find it,  but  if you can get that out you can slide the tumbler assembly out with by using a key blank or any key that fits into the lock.  once the tumblers are out you can disengage the lock from the shaft.

mossgreen ,   you still have not said if you are dealing with a tilt or non tilt column,  it makes a big difference in this particular problem !!  

Edited by ruparts

Hey , you're in my area.

I've got a modest collection of EA81 keys we could try in your lock tumblr.

I've also got a couple tilt steering columns...

(@ruparts an 86 Brat will definitely have a tilt column)

This isnt my old light blue brat is it ??

IF so, I only replaced the door lock cylinders.

Edited by Greenley

Pete, (greenly) let me know when your free man so I can use somma that expertise you got growin' in that beard... There will surely be some beer waiting around.

-Thanks for all the replies guy's, I'll get it done one way or another. ..

Edited by mossgreen

Trippin out  :drunk:

Nicely done dude, especially the key loss  :Flame:

spoob, i just remembered it was only the drivers side i changed,

so you'll be able to get the ignition switch key code from the passenger side!

My phone's toast, hence the non-replied texts.

USMB FTW . again.

(In the past, I've been able to just break the lock without ill effect)

((First 3 subies had no keys))

Edited by Greenley

Yea man, I had the key for all of 5 minutes before the old devils lettuce kicked into high gear and POOF .... gone.

TRIPPIN OWIT.

How'd you bust up your ignition functionally?

As you can tell I forgot my old log in whatnot and I initially signed back up when I was "SURE" the mossgreen wagon was mine. Now I've got the brat... so goes it.

Use dremel to cut slot in the lock cylinder bolts (they look like rivet heads)  Cut a thin slot in them, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove them.

Now take the mechanism to the locksmith.  And If you would like to eliminate the steering lock now would be the time to grind off the pawl that engages the column.

Use dremel to cut slot in the lock cylinder bolts (they look like rivet heads)  Cut a thin slot in them, and then use a flathead screwdriver to remove them.

Now take the mechanism to the locksmith.  And If you would like to eliminate the steering lock now would be the time to grind off the pawl that engages the column.

hi,

you must be thinking of a ea82 lock,  or a non tilt column ea81 ,,  there is no unbolting the lock assembly from around the column on a tilt column ea81, it bolts on all right , with 4 bolts , but after it slides in place over the column shaft.  it's a 1 piece unit with bearings for the shaft inside it.