Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what cable did i pull out? and where do i plug it back in?

while changing out my accel cable i began to pull out of the firewall what i thought was the pedal-end. not really thinking, i ended up pulling out a cable with a plug socket on the end of it, whose cable goes through a hole in the firewall to the left of where the accel cable goes through. a quick look under the dash didn't yield anything obvious. this cable on the other end goes into the transmission. what is it? and where can i plug it back in?

THANKS

post-51047-0-57752500-1389747649_thumb.jpg

you can plug back in the speedo cable without pulling out the cluster, but you'll need to remove the shroud attached to the dashbaord that runs below the steering column.

Push the cable back through the firewall.

Put the drivers seat as far back as possible, and climb into the car upside down (so your head is on the floor).

Then feel around up the back of the dash in the general region of the back of the cluster. It's a fair way up (well at least for me with my short arms :P)

You're trying to find a square ended round knob sticking out. This is what fits inside the outer shell of the cable.

It's a simple, but tight, push fit.

Good luck

There should already be a rubbere grommet in the firewall for this. The 85 models came with a manual choke.

I was going to say it's beside the clutch cable hole, but your cars are backwards :P

I've still yet to figure out how the clutch cable is setup on the LHD cars :P