Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber throttle questions

I just got a weber 32/36 electric choke for an 82 Brat. I don't have a stock throttle cable.  I've seen that people make their own brackets to mount the cable but i'm not very good with welding so i can't really think of how to make that bracket so i'd like to see some examples and also what exactly is the bracket doing. And also do i need to do any adjustments to the throttle cable (trimming the tube down) or will it be fine just as it is. I've heard a lot of people having problems with binding and i wanna make sure i do this right.

Edited by 82bratdude

Where did you buy the Weber and did it come as a 'conversion kit'?

I won't ask why you do not have a 'stock' throttle cable.

Does your cable jacketing terminate with a metal tube that is threaded and has 2 nuts to adjust the position in the current throttle cable bracket?

You do not need to weld anything so that eliminates the 'welding anxiety' factor.

A visit to the Carbs Unlimited website will be helpfull.

http://www.carburetion.com/index.htm

Go to the RedLine parts section. "DGV" section. Look at "DGV/DGEV universal cable linkage".

Kits number 99007.116 and 99007.114 . Both kits have #99005.357 'cable anchor swivel stud', which will help if your weird cable needs to be re-terminated.

The kits have several cable mounting brackets to choose from. You may have to buy a real Subaru throttle cable.

You listed binding as a potential problem. Binding in the cable or at the throttle shaft? Binding at the throttle shaft, and high idle rpm, is usually due to installing the nut on the throttle shaft too tight.

I do not have any images of my Weber, on a Trans-Dapt #2107 adapter, on an EA82 intake manifold. The #2107 adapter is 1-3/4" high. I placed my throttle cable bracket on the intake manifold to try to keep the cable low enough to miss the spare tire. Funny, I do not have the spare in the engine compartment any longer.

Your results will vary. Buy a linkage kit and take the time to test fit a bracket or 2 before rushing into a final install. Leave yourself a lot of time to handle surprises.

Where did you buy the Weber and did it come as a 'conversion kit'?

I won't ask why you do not have a 'stock' throttle cable.

Does your cable jacketing terminate with a metal tube that is threaded and has 2 nuts to adjust the position in the current throttle cable bracket?

You do not need to weld anything so that eliminates the 'welding anxiety' factor.

A visit to the Carbs Unlimited website will be helpfull.

http://www.carburetion.com/index.htm

Go to the RedLine parts section. "DGV" section. Look at "DGV/DGEV universal cable linkage".

Kits number 99007.116 and 99007.114 . Both kits have #99005.357 'cable anchor swivel stud', which will help if your weird cable needs to be re-terminated.

The kits have several cable mounting brackets to choose from. You may have to buy a real Subaru throttle cable.

You listed binding as a potential problem. Binding in the cable or at the throttle shaft? Binding at the throttle shaft, and high idle rpm, is usually due to installing the nut on the throttle shaft too tight.

I do not have any images of my Weber, on a Trans-Dapt #2107 adapter, on an EA82 intake manifold. The #2107 adapter is 1-3/4" high. I placed my throttle cable bracket on the intake manifold to try to keep the cable low enough to miss the spare tire. Funny, I do not have the spare in the engine compartment any longer.

Your results will vary. Buy a linkage kit and take the time to test fit a bracket or 2 before rushing into a final install. Leave yourself a lot of time to handle surprises.

Yes my weber came with the conversion kit but it did not come with any cable brackets so would the one for the hitachi work or would i have to modify it?

For some reason the hitachi intake that i used when i did my weber swap ages ago had a different mounting hole for the throttle cable than ive seen on here requiring me to get fancy with a cable mount.  I dont have pictures but my former coupes current owner might see this post and give you another idea in the form of a picture.  I had a local machine shop make me the bracket out of 1/8 steel.  All i did was make a template out of cardboard of what i needed and told him to make it out of steel.  25 dollars later i had the throttle cable mounted. 

Okay thanks for all the replys. I got the throttle figured out now. One question I still have is about vacuum hoses. I know most of them i need to plug up but Which ones do I need to keep on. Also I have two big vacuum hose that comes out of the top of the valve covers. Would I just plug those ones with some putty?

You cant just plug the ones on the valve covers, they are the PCV system, if you look through the weber swap writeup by loyale 2.7 turbo he explains how to route it all.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/142100-pcv-mods-for-weber/?hl=%2Bweber+%2Bswap
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/71510-ideas-on-swaping-a-weber-carb-on-ea82%C2%B4s/?do=findComment&comment=1027151

Edited by Tom0

I'm wondering what do i do with these hoses The first one i marked sucks in air. Do these need to be hooked up to something? I don't think they're PCV hoses because they don't come from the valve covers. I'm kinda new to mechanics so i get lost a lot.

EDIT here's more pictures. Those hoses connect to these things on both sides of the car which are connected to metal pipes on them that go down near the exhaust manifold. Are these to be plugged?

post-49216-0-04472300-1391563086_thumb.jpg

post-49216-0-10015500-1391563094_thumb.jpg

post-49216-0-87861200-1391629743_thumb.jpg

post-49216-0-63964000-1391629748_thumb.jpg

Edited by 82bratdude