Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been looking on the web for a timing belt kit for a '96 EJ22.  Mizumo Auto has a premium kit ($158.71 with free shipping) that includes a Mitsuboshi belt and an Aisin water pump with gasket.

They told me the W/P gasket is "thin metal, coated."  Anyone used one?  Is it equal quality to the Subaru gasket we'd normally buy at a dealership? 

Thanks all--really appreciate the input.  I think I'd feel comfortable using the Aisin gasket.

By the way, I trust the Gates brand and would probably go with it.  But everywhere I checked--amazon, rockauto and ebay--the price was significantly higher than Mizumo's top kit.

I just replaced my WP with a rebuilt unit that came with a paper gasket. I noticed the original WP had a smooth machined mating surface with the metal gasket, but the re-man had a textured surface from whatever media blasting.

Put i pitched the paper gasket, applied a thin film of ultra grey to the textured surface, and re-used the metal gasket dry against the block.