Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RWD with a locking center diff?

Ok, so I've got an ea82 wagon that I'm starting the process of rebuilding, and I'm going to make it rwd. I have an xt6 awd trans with locking center diff. Would I be alright pulling the front axles and locking up the center, or do I need to weld it up? I have it partially taken apart right now, but I'm not really seeing anywhere that I can weld up the center diff. The teeth that lock the center don't look like they could take too much abuse, but I could be wrong. Has anyone done this? Or has anyone successfully welded a locking center diff?

If you're going to destroy a gearbox like this, send it my way and I'll sort you out with a PT4wd gearbox.  The part time gearbox would be stronger for this application, but as with all subaru gearboxes, the rear output shaft gears are the weak link in running RWD.

That gearbox you've got is not something to weld up like that!

Save a good gearbox and get a run of the mill PT4wd box ;)

Cheers

Bennie

No need to weld the center diff, just lock it using the actuator all ready there.

My '88 Wagon has the XT6 FT4WD trans in it. Had to pull rear drive shaft due to bad u-joints. Had to lock the center diff in, in order to drive it as a FWD vehicle.

Running one as just RWD would be the same thing. BUT,,, the as stated, the gearing isn't designed for driving the rear only.

Gearing for the rear drive are straight cut gears, they don't stand up to prolonged use or abuse.

Yes, one can pull a front axle, shift into 4WD and drive around. I have done so on a couple of my Subaru's, due to bad front axle.

There's ones on here that have T-cased their rides, locking trans into 4WD to do so, running on just the rear output. Been a few report they fubared the gears for the rear drive.

It is not recommended to run RWD only for extended period of time.

There's ones on here that have T-cased their rides, locking trans into 4WD to do so, running on just the rear output. Been a few report they fubared the gears for the rear drive.

I'm not aware of anyone who has wrecked the rear output going to a T-case.

Running directly as RWD, yes....many have been munched.....

But I don't think I've heard a report of someone with a T-case behind it haveing an issue.  Not positive just I think it's O.K to run to a T-case becasue it then uses the T-case gears for reduction and output.