Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Filter Replacement? Random Hard Starting

So, I just got some rude news. I guess they changed the fuel filter setup on the starting with the '05 Forester. The nice and easy to service filter next to the strut tower has been relocated to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. It's still supposed to changed every 30k. They're telling me I'm supposed to pull the freaking fuel pump every 30k? Seriously?

Or is it not as bad as it looks like it is?

Either way, I'm trying to solve an issue where the car will crank but not start randomly after sitting for a while. Once it starts it runs and drives just fine. The other thing I think it might be is the coolant temperature sensor. What do you guys think?

So you basically say:

The filter on the strut tower is removed

A new one is placed on the fuel pump inside the gas tank

So what is there instead on the strut tower, just a fuel line connector, linking the two lines?

As far as I can remember any 4 cyl EJ subaru until at least 2008 has the strut tower filter.

Edited by rverdoold

I would suspect the ecu temp sensor or a crank or cam sensor before the fuel pump.

You can eliminate the fuel pump by trial if you do this: if the car is not starting, give it some starting fluid. If she still does not fire, suspect the sensor. If it fires right away, suspect fuel.

I would replace the ECTS out of routine anyway as it is fairly easy and cheap to do