Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 - 2.2 going through oil like crazy

I need the assistance of those more knowledgable than I...

My 95 Legacy w/EJ22 is going thru crazy amounts of oil recently. just put 1.5 quarts in yesterday and by the time I got done running my errands and got back home it was low again - total distance traveled was maybe 45-50 miles.

we had a brief warm spell a couple of weeks back - got to nearly 40 degrees F - then the bottom dropped out and it returned to subzero temps - since the warm spell I have had to add oil more and more frequently.

Looking under the car this morning there is a fairly large oily spot - about 6 inches across - at the passenger side rear of the motor...

looking under the hood, we find:

the passenger side axle, exhaust and other components in that area are covered in an oily film

at the top of the engine, I can see oily puddles on top of the passenger side of the block.

the vacinity of the headgasket (and yes, i mean the headgasket, not the cam cover) is VERY oily on the passenger side.

The oil light sending unit is very oily, but not loose that I can tell without removing the alternator, and there is evidence of oil dripping down the front of the timing cover.

I know the car needs new cam cover seals, but I really dont think that is the entire issue here.

The rear plastic separator plate was replaced with metal & resealed when the tranny was swapped out about 3 months ago - a potential suspect, but not a big one at this point - if it hadnt been done recently, I would be highly suspect of it.

I am afraid to drive it until I can figure this out/get it fixed and I REALLY need my car! HELP!

Generally huge amounts of oil have to come from a pressure source, like the pressure switch, or from a cam or crank seal.

Clean as much of that off as you can. Then start it and let it run and see if you can find out where its dripping from.

Thanks Fairtax - too flippin cold out to try cleaning anything right now - barely 0 out there & I dont have an indoor space i can use without driving 30 miles, either. 10 minutes outside and the fingers and toes are going numb, even with gloves & good boots on.

The car is gonna have to sit until it warms up at least a little bit. Trying to get the battery on the old Dodge charged up so I can use it temporarily.

Supposed to be up into the 20s next weekend...

Those Pressure switches for the oil light tend to get leaky.

Certainly looks like that's what's happening.

Might also want to change the O-ring on the rear cam cap on the passenger side.

Fix those 2 things (both very cheap)  and evaluate from there.

is the oil level on the dip stick down?

the other leak point on top of the block is the power steering pump o-ring.

it can be hard to tell what oil it is when on the block or the ground.

but if the engine oil level is down,

and the power steering oil level is not,

then it isn't steering fluid.

johnc - yes, definitely engine oil - dipstick level was low, and it was ticking like a sewing machine...

PCV is something that I do need to look at.

new cam cover seals & grommets as well

On the pressure switch - is it possible to re-use one with some teflon tape wrapped on the threads, or should I just plan on getting a new one? it seems to be working fine, just leaking - but doubt that is the only place it is leaking.

once it warms up a little I want to pull the outer timing covers off and make sure it hasnt popped a cam seal, too - I seem to recall somebody had that happen not to long ago?

On the pressure switch - is it possible to re-use one with some teflon tape wrapped on the threads, or should I just plan on getting a new one? it seems to be working fine, just leaking - but doubt that is the only place it is leaking.

No.....get a new one.....they ussually leak out of the top, around the tab for the electrical connection......they are on;y about $15 from any parts store.

It's a pressurized leak.....so you can lose ALOT of oil from it on a few drives.  Might not be the only leak.....but probably the one that's causeing the massive oil loss.

• Like 1

Just replaced the pressure switch on a 2000 Leg about a month ago:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143980-power-steering-leak-maybe-something-else/

It was making a mess just like yours, pooling oil on the heads, and dripping all the way down and off the cross-member. I got an OE one for I think $17.

Not sure how it is setup on your gen, but on the sohc 2.5 the pressure switch went into a nipple that went into the block. I had to get an o-ring that went on the switch (didn't come with one) at the parts store, and then used a little bit of pipe dope on the switch and nipple threads.

I might have some pics somewhere.

No.....get a new one.....they ussually leak out of the top, around the tab for the electrical connection......they are on;y about $15 from any parts store.

It's a pressurized leak.....so you can lose ALOT of oil from it on a few drives.  Might not be the only leak.....but probably the one that's causeing the massive oil loss.

Ok, thanks - kind of figured it would be a "no" but had to ask anyway. :D

nick - appreciate the offer of pics, but I have done this sensor on another car before - pretty easy on this gen, just need to move the alternator out of the way.

well, got to the oil pressure switch today - added a quart of oil before starting the car, after starting we observed air bubbles coming out of the pressure switch and once pressure built up, it started oozing oil pretty good from between the metal housing and the plastic top.

Put the new switch in - cost was $13.70 including tax - cheap! topped off the oil level and it is idling now - so far, so good.

Not saying it is 100% fixed just yet (cause I know if I do, something else will happen! LOL), but I think we have found the major source...Keep your fingers crossed for me! LOL

I did place an order for new cam cover seals as well, should have them early next week.

Edited by heartless

Great news, heartless!  New valve cover gaskets will undoubtedly help too.  How about the front end?  New cam & crank seals, oil pump reseal, cam O-rings might be a good idea.

Good luck!

Front end was done back in December when I did the timing belt & pulleys , new water pump, etc, so I should be good there.

the cam & crank seals were hard as a rock, so I am betting the cam cover seals are as well. Got those ordered from rockauto for just over $25, including the grommets for the bolts & shipping. :)

Really would like to do a bit of under hood cleaning now, but that is gonna have to wait for warmer weather. She is gonna be a little smelly until the excess burns off, but so be it.

Rockauto has decent prices on Felpro gaskets, but I usually end up getting them from Advance or Napa if they have them in stock. I order online from advance and use a discount code then go pick them up an hour later. Usauly get stuff for about the same price as rockauto before shipping. Of course, living close to a retail store means little expense on gas. If I had to drive 30 minutes to get there it would be a different story.

for me, just about anything - other than a convienience store/gas station or a bar - is a 30 minute drive! LOL

I tried searching for the gaskets on Advance Autos site and couldnt find them (wrong search terms maybe? i dunno)

it was just easier to find them on rockauto, the price was decent, and they will be delivered right to my door - no driving involved. ;)

I did look at a couple of other online sources, and RA had the best price overall (part + shipping)

Well, I do believe that I am going to call it fixed!

took it for a test run last night - had to go to town to get some supplies to fix a leaky water line in the basement - threw 2 quarts of oil in the back and drove the 30 miles to town, got the supplies, went and got dinner, then drove home again with no flickering oil light in sight! :D

Will be checking oil level later this morning to be sure, but yeah, I think she is good to go!  Will be very happy to be driving my Subie again after a week of driving that darn pickup! LOL