Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Drone" noise around 55-60 mph -- 97 Legacy Outback

Drone noise started this morning. Sounds like an exhaust drone but it just started and theres no exhaust leak. Starts around 55 to 60 mph. Vibration too, i can feel it in my seat and the rearview mirror, etc. vibrates. I dont have a splash pan on the underside of the car and i hit a frozen over deep puddle this morning before i noticed the noise, might have something to do with it. What do yall think? Engine? Exhaust? Trans/driveline?

Also, does anyone know where i can find a splash pan for this generation, if this even came with one? Im tired of a cloud of steam bursting out underneath my car every time i go over a puddle...

Even with a splash pan under the engine, you're still gonna get water on the exhaust and cats. It doesn't hurt anything when it boils off.

These cars have notorious issues with rear wheel bearings failing. It might help to have someone ride in the back seat so they can move around a bit and try to pinpoint where the sound is coming from, but that's where I'd look first.

snow packed around  the drive shfat or inside the wheel?

Could be. Like I said, I dont think having chunks of ice and freezing water blasting the bottom of the car at 60 mph can be very healthy for anything.

Im taking an automotive technology course so ill take it in thursday, i made my instructor curious. Knows nothing about boxers lol (GM guy) but he did a front driveshaft/u joint last year on a 4th gen legacy.