Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey SubaGuru's, I just got my hands on a decent example of a 96 Outback. It is a 2.2 five speed. I am an autocrosser (this car replaces my first and current car, 87 Honda Prelude) and the Outback is my next adventure. I am not going for any national titles here, its just something I have some fun with and learn some car control. I have been reading a lot about hardening and just general upgrades. I do of course want the car lowered and I have been looking at cheaper ways to do it. A lot of people say 02-07 WRX struts and springs bolt right in and gives a nice drop, others say thats not a good idea and say to go with Legacy GT struts and springs to start with and see how it is and then maybe start swapping in WRX/STI springs. I am wading through the misinformation as best I can. What do we think of these options? Are there others? I also have several different weighted springs laying around and was considering buying some KYB's and doing my own spring rates, but I would need stock spring rates to do a proper ratio. Any help/input is appreciated!

Go to legacygt.com forum. 2nd generation, then suspension faqs in the sticky.

Will give you a lot of info.

You'll probably be changing tires, but you have to if going to  another suby's struts. The 205/70/15 which are standard  on most OB's will rub.

Know the info is out there on spring rates, just can't remember where ATM.

The OB generally weigh @100lbs more than the sedan.

O.

Removing the spacers is an extensive procedure, but removing them will give you better clearance when lowered. Better info can be found on sl-i.net than legacygt.com, most of the info on lgt was copied from SLi when a member was banned, and much of it has been updated or improved upon since. If you venture into removing the "body lift" some of your parts must be replaced with standard legacy/impreza items, such as all the bolts, rear trailing arm brackets, transmission crossmember, and driveshaft carrier bearing. The good news is that you can surely sell them to someone lifting a regular legacy or impreza and recoup some of your investment.

• 2 weeks later...