Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sluggish Speedometer

I have had the faster speedo fixed with crc556 sprayed in the back of th speedo head. I have a sometimes slow reading in my GLTA ever since I fitted the 5 speed manual retaining the longer auto 3 speeds cable. Three speeds auto cable goes in on LHS of box, 5 speed cable is on RHS of box.

In a RHD world the longer auto cable bends a bit more to reach RHD speedo head so I suspect that is my cause.

In RHD, a 3 speeds longer cable is desired for lifts.

US manual box likely uses longer cable in manuals ?

Made any tranny changes ?

I have noticed that my speedometer is sluggish to respond to changes in speed. Is there something I can clean or lube that will make it more responsive? 

93 Loyale Sedan

May just be times for a new cable. If you decide to lubricate it, graphite lube but VERY VERY VERY LIRRLE, otherwise you will end up wearing it and fouling the spedo head.

I have had the faster speedo fixed with crc556 sprayed in the back of th speedo head. I have a sometimes slow reading in my GLTA ever since I fitted the 5 speed manual retaining the longer auto 3 speeds cable. Three speeds auto cable goes in on LHS of box, 5 speed cable is on RHS of box.

In a RHD world the longer auto cable bends a bit more to reach RHD speedo head so I suspect that is my cause.

In RHD, a 3 speeds longer cable is desired for lifts.

US manual box likely uses longer cable in manuals ?

Made any tranny changes ?

No, everything is stock. Never heard of faster speedo until now.

:D :D :D

Mine was faster normal, not anything special or appearing on the options list, bit like rybikes double speed something goes dry in the speedo head and CRC556 sprayed in the cable hole at the back by my assistant RubberMan fixed it. My current one with the box swap is sluggish at times. At other times the tacho goes to sleep :)

My speedo is currently running double speed, but i have read about your issu try searching around. I did hear sewing machine oil works but you dont want to much or you could end up with a spedo like mine