Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy my first Subaru

I like hard working older cars, so I am looking at a 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon with 105K miles on it. Other than a little body damage on a rear corner the car looks to be in good shape. There are two mechanical issues: ignition switch (key) does not hit every time and a crank case oil leak. 

Can anyone who knows these cars give me some insights on this. I sounds like a good car, but I do not know if there are known issues with the year/model?

The two mechanical issues sound relatively easy. Any thoughts on those? anything specific I should look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

The 2.2 motor in a 92 Leggie has a "bullet proof"  reputation. With proper oil changes, they will run 300K miles easily.

The ignition switch concern may be the result of a starter going bad, or the switch mechanism itself is bad. Neither are difficult to fix.

Crank case oil leak most likely from a leaky valve cover gasket or seal. Only way to really tell, is to clean the oil off, and then look to see where oil is leaking out.

If it runs and drives good, with no other obvious issues, then the car should be a good car to buy.

It is prolly a good idea to look at the boots on each end of the half shafts, to see if the rubber boots are split open. Also, figure on doing a brake job. I have never bought a used car, that wasn't on the verge of needing new brake pads.

If you buy this or some other Subie, post your car concerns and problems here. Lots of good people here to help keep your Subie running. Subies are very easy to work on. Good access to everything, except the spark plugs.

Thanks Rooster, I will check all of those issues. I will also stay on the forum. I have learned that these can be valuable resourses for those of us who are mechanically inclined and willing to work on their own car.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts!!

Thanks Rooster, I will check all of those issues. I will also stay on the forum. I have learned that these can be valuable resourses for those of us who are mechanically inclined and willing to work on their own car.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts!!

You are welcome!!

I have an outback sport with the 2.2L and cannot say enough good things about it. It is my first subie and I'll continue to drive these cars for many years to come. I'm a convert.

Do the brakes, plugs/wires, change all fluids and that things should run forever.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe that 2.2L is a non interference engine- anybody else step in here- so check that way you know whether or not to do the timing belt and water pump while you're at it. If non-interference then no top end destruction if the by break

I have an outback sport with the 2.2L and cannot say enough good things about it. It is my first subie and I'll continue to drive these cars for many years to come. I'm a convert.

Do the brakes, plugs/wires, change all fluids and that things should run forever.

I'm not 100% on this but I believe that 2.2L is a non interference engine- anybody else step in here- so check that way you know whether or not to do the timing belt and water pump while you're at it. If non-interference then no top end destruction if the by break

My 93 Legacy is non-interference, so it's good if you don't feel up to a timing belt right away.

Mine just hit 200k and I love the way it's always started up and driven pretty reliable with such little work. Parts are cheap and work is definitely easy to learn. The Haynes manual covers this car pretty well actually, so I would start there if you are interested. Rain, sand, snow....it just loves any surface and being low to the ground can be so much fun for tight cornering. I highly recommend a fresh set of struts, especially given the age.

Thank all of you for your time and inputs.I checked it out carefully: the boots are all good, with two recently replaced. You can barely hear the engine run. Even with the body issues I bought it. I am now a Subie owner.

In going through that engine compartment, I experienced a full color flash-back. That 4 cylinder opposing, horizontal bias, engine made me think I was looking at the old air cooled VW 1600cc bug engine. Ok it is water cooled, but damn!

I wonder where Subaru got that engine design????

The mileage for that year is pretty low. It will last for many miles with routine maintenance. Do the timing belt if it hasn't been done, but it is a non-interference engine, so if the belt goes, there is no damage to the engine.

If you are mechanically apt, then you will fine the engine is remarkable easy to take out. The layout was from a lloyd based platform under license back in the olden times

the biggest issue with the older Subarus is lack of maintenance. A little time spent catching things up and you will have yourself a great running, uber reliable vehicle.

As Miles noted - the mileage on that car is low for the year - I have a 1990 Legacy LS wagon out in the yard with well over 240K on it - still runs/drives great, and a 1995 Legacy L wagon that is now my daily driver that has 210K on it - both have the same motor as your 92, the non-interference EJ22

if it is the cam case covers leaking oil a set of these from rockauto.com for around $25-30 shipped will fix that problem - altho, you being in Subaru country, check around locally, you may be able to get them cheaper (no shipping costs)

Other areas prone to oil leaking are the front seals - cam and crank, which can (and should) be replaced during a timing job, and the oil pressure switch that sits on top front, under the alternator...my 95 just had an issue with that one... also a cheap and easy fix.

that's probably one of Subaru's most economical, practical, and reliable platforms you can get.  keep the oil properly maintained and don't overheat it and they easily make 300,000 miles.

that era has one issue i can think of.  automatics around that vintage have a transmission issue where the cooler in the radiator clogs. 
it's around 1991-1992 that this i applicable.  if so I'd look that up and find out the remedy for it, i think there's an additional in-line filter that's added before the radiator cooler. 

personally i like reliability and not getting stranded.  to that end i'd install a timing belt kit - pulley, tensioner, belt right away.  that will leave you stranded if any of those components break.  the old style timing tensioner in that vehicle almost never fails, i never replace those (whereas you should always replace the new style tensioners, they fail fairly commonly).  the kits usually just come wtih the pulley, not the hydraulic mechanism.  they're only $60 - $120 on rockauto, amazon, ebay for an entire kit.

good idea to get the oil pump and cam seals, cam orings, water pump replaced while the timing belt is off too since it has to come off to replace all of those.  and those seals are a couple bucks and take a few extra minutes to replace with the belt off. 

plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter would be nice simply based on age but those won't leave you stranded, you'll get poor gas mileage or performance or check engine light usually. 

I'm not 100% on this but I believe that 2.2L is a non interference engine

up to 1996 are non-interference. 1997+ Ej22's and all other USDM Subaru engines are interference after that.

Once again, thanks everyone for your Help. 

I bought this car for my boy so he could learn about working on his own car. I have worked on many makes and models of cars, but never a Subaru before. I need some pointers like:

If you are mechanically apt, then you will fine the engine is remarkable easy to take out. The layout was from a lloyd based platform under license back in the olden times

Where do I find the information on pulling this engine? what are the tricks?

I like hard working older cars, so I am looking at a 1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon with 105K miles on it. Other than a little body damage on a rear corner the car looks to be in good shape. There are two mechanical issues: ignition switch (key) does not hit every time and a crank case oil leak. 

Can anyone who knows these cars give me some insights on this. I sounds like a good car, but I do not know if there are known issues with the year/model?

The two mechanical issues sound relatively easy. Any thoughts on those? anything specific I should look for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

A car that old with such low mieage will have many miles left. But an old car with low miles equals sitting which can have its own problems.

In regard to sitting, change the coolant right away, and inspect the brake calipers and grease the boots and slides; flush the brake fluid with new. ctch up on its 100,000 mi service, change the diff oils. 1992 is a rock solid car. although the engine harness and grille share with 92-94, the engine shares with 90-95 and thru 98 with the correct exhaust pipe. The front suspension shares with 90-99 and 93-04 impreza. the rear suspension will work if you swap top hats.

I am also looking to buy my first Subaru. I am thinking of getting the yellow 2003 Baja. I have $10,000 to spend. I really like the pics and Youtube videos of Bajas. I see them for sale with 200,000-300,000 miles. My issue is that I weigh 250pounds at 5'8". I don't have the ability to test drive one locally so the one I go test will be the one I purchase. Are they comfortable? I have short legs long torso if that helps. I only wear 28" inseam in pants. Lol SHORT LEGS. Is my head going to smack the roof on every speed bump? Is the driver seat wide enough for a big man like me?

not sure if this will help you - but I am 5ft 4, average proportion height wise, and about 50 lbs overweight, and there is plenty of seat adjustment forward on the older Legacy's (have never been in a Baja, so I dont know how they are specifically, altho they are based on the Legacy platform)

Not knowing you personally, I would ask how well do you fit in an average bucket seat? If you are uncomfortable in most bucket style seats, then you probably wont be comfortable in a Baja.

I am 6'2' and a subaru is very comfortable for me, as my legs are disproportionately long for my stature as i have the stature of a 6' person with 2 more inches in my femur. anyway, for my height, i sit bolt upright and the seat about 3 or 4 clicks from all the way back. I can't drive with a gangster lean if i have to lean forward off the seat to reach the shifter or stereo.

I am so used to sitting in subarus that even larger cars seem like they don't have good seating posture.

Edited by MilesFox