Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T - Boost but no power gain

:D you won't have the same problems I had with a draw through LPG propane set -up, but idea might be same to chase.

I followed manufacturers technical advice for install at first - must be turbo blows through gas carby -undriveable, could only no boost drive around the block and only just make it back in shed. Push it and got backfires blowing off the intake hoses and clamps.

Reconfigured things into a draw through carby, then compress fuel air mix.

Ooh yeah, that's better - KABOOM.

It became driveable to a point, I'd hear a phisshh, noise under bonnet at about 3 psi boost, ask for anymore and I'd get a back fire again, blowing hoses and clamps all over the place. Five months later, chewing fat with gas guru, mention vac advance, boost retard system and wondering if i had trouble with it. Guru says to think about it for a moment, boost pressure is suddenly in all vacuum lines and if a hole anywhere it is gonna leak off. Found hole in the vac advance boost retard diaphragm ! My spare allowed 4psi boost before it too started to phisht and stumble, push it for more beyond that and you'd get a backfire !

A new vac advance boost retard diaphragm ex Japan fixed that - $227

Boost pressured gas vapours and air where getting in around rotor button, catching a spark and igniting, just enough for small explosion to phishht out the dizys breather holes or between cap and dist body :)

Edited by jono

I thought that my problem was from my coil or connections going out at first because it seemed like I wasn't getting timing advance. then my crank angle sensor went completely toast today, and now that I changed that its been running great.. if it was that causing all my problems the whole time then that crank sensor can cause some funky problems, such as my gas gauge post LOL