Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TOW ? 4x4 xt-4 driveshaft back half removed ?

hi,

87 XT-T,   with the push button select 4x4 5-spd trans.

i am planning to tow my xtt  on a tow dolley ( long trip) with rear wheels on road,  i'm thinking i need to remove the rear half of the driveshaft so it doesn't turn all the trans internal stuff,  no problem,  but want to know, will it still drive onto, and off of,  the dolly with it in FWD and no rear shaft??  i guess the better question is will it still move itself around ok to get  out of the shop,  on the dolley,  off again, and back in the shop without the rear half of the driveshaft?  i don't plan to run it this way,  just enough to get it on and back off the tow dolley.

thanks for input

The output of the trans is sealed by the front of the drive shaft, so when you pull it out you will lose trans fluid.  You can drive it with no problem, as it is primarily a FWD car that locks in the rear output for 4WD.  So I guess, the short of it is, yes, it will drive, but make sure the back of the shaft is hung in a way that it will not fall in the way of anything.

You can also just remove the rear section of the driveline.  Leave the front section mounted in the trans and at the carrier bearing.

Easier I think than pulling both axles.....that can be a pain if they are rusty and unbolting shock at the bottom and jacking whole car up.

But either way then dolly tow will be fine.

• Like 1

You can also just remove the rear section of the driveline.  Leave the front section mounted in the trans and at the carrier bearing.

Easier I think than pulling both axles.....that can be a pain if they are rusty and unbolting shock at the bottom and jacking whole car up.

Yes! This will work, and is only 8 bolts. My 89 didn't have the rear part of the driveshaft and drove just fine.

I think this is exactly what he asked in the first place.

Yes, you can do it this way. You may need to drop the bolts that hold the centre bearing to the floor so the shaft moves enough for the rear half to slide out.

Yes you can pull the driveshaft. You will have to engage 4wd to operate the car with no driveshaft.

But, by design, you can leave the trans in FWD and leave the driveshaft in lace, for which this is totally safe, and the car can drive off and on the dolly in FWD as many times as you want.

Pushbutton is a part time 4wd. If this were a full time or awd, then you will want to remove the driveshaft.

Yes you can pull the driveshaft. You will have to engage 4wd to operate the car with no driveshaft.

But, by design, you can leave the trans in FWD and leave the driveshaft in lace, for which this is totally safe, and the car can drive off and on the dolly in FWD as many times as you want.

Pushbutton is a part time 4wd. If this were a full time or awd, then you will want to remove the driveshaft.

He can drive it indefinitely in FWD w/o a driveshaft hooked to the diff (leaving the front half in as an oil seal, essentially). This is how it essentially works anyway in FWD mode.

However, without the engine turning the input shaft, I believe you can starve the trans and Tcase of splash lubrication if you leave the rear shaft connected and spinning while towing. (Not that you were going to do this, just FYI)

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge

He can drive it indefinitely in FWD w/o a driveshaft hooked to the diff (leaving the front half in as an oil seal, essentially). This is how it essentially works anyway in FWD mode.

However, without the engine turning the input shaft, I believe you can starve the trans and Tcase of splash lubrication if you leave the rear shaft connected and spinning while towing. (Not that you were going to do this, just FYI)

whoops, i was thinking backwards as what i sat is relevant to running it as a RWD with a missing front axle.

anyway, beside all that point, a part time 4wd can be towed in FWD and removing the driveshaft is not necessary to tow 2 up on this vehicle. It can be flat towed or 2 up from either direction as long as the 4wd is not engaged.