Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator question

Hey guys. Yesterday I was driving up a dirt road in my 91 loyale when a 'plug' or something burst on the left side of the radiator. So, it's on the opposite side of the radiator cap. It is about in the middle on the side, and I see there are two similar holes on the other side where the cap is and they have hoses that are capped coming out of them. my question is, am I able to buy a part that screws into the hole (hose with a cap on them) or do I need a whole new radiator? What is the hole there for? Obviously something was fastened in the hole before and it burst out.

It's all brass. Obviously after this burst it wouldn't hold coolant, it's directly on the side of the radiator right in the middle. So, nothing can be done ? New radiator?

A radiator shop might be able to solder in a new bung.

I have a barely used one for a Loyale(22" between the bottom pins) in Subaru Parts. Where is Slt, CA?

Rather than "bleed" the radiator.... try burping the radiator.   Google that and you will find multiple threads on the usmb site.

Might want to replace the radiator hoses -  You can kind of check them by squeezing them for softness.  You want a 'firm' hose.

Wouldn't hurt to install a factory thermostat... summer is near.    Very important that your cooling system is in top shape.   Keep an eye on the waterpump for 'weeping' fluid.   If the hole was threaded... you may be able to find a plug with matching threads at a nut/bolt shop like Fastenal or maybe Napa.

Good luck... and watch out for those dirt roads !

So my buddy who owns an auto shop is saying he needs the manufacturer date because there are 2 radiators for 1991 loyale, and the manufacturers label is unreadable, does anyone know the difference between the 2? The one in there currently is all brass..

manuf date of the vehicle should be in the driver door jamb.    If unreadable, should clean up with some alcohol.
I would think the vin# would be more important than the manuf date.  Just because a Loyale was built in 12/90  or 02/91 does not indicate if it had AC or AT or turbo or transmission cooler.... Well maybe there could have been a design change that was date specific.

But you could get the manuf date from the dealer if you give them the vin#.

Can't you find a plug for the hole... or do you suspect that the radiator is shot?  And need new one?

Personally, I would clean the innards, find a plug and go with it.

The radiators for that year all have the same overall dimensions to fit the front end.

If you have a manual transmission & no A/C, then a single row is just fine.

If you have a manual transmission & A/C, then a single row is probably enough unless you're towing in a desert or up hills.

If you have an automatic transmission & A/C then a dual row radiator might be needed.

Just my $.02

Edited by czny

Czny, I have a manual and a/c I don't use, will the radiator you have for sale work?

I don't see why not. Already has the plugs & thermo-switch in it.

There is nothing wrong with this radiator....I luckily found a PNP dual row brass & had it cleaned for myself because I intend to add A/C & perhaps tow with my GL wagon.

Edited by czny

Hey guys, just wanted to update with the resolution. So I pulled the radiator And I was able to remove the plug which had burst from the threaded hole. Apparently these plugs are for AT sensors and such, which I obviously don't have. So there are a bunch of extra plug holes on the radiator that are probably more prone to bursting. So I brought another plug from my radiator to the shop and was able to find a threaded plug with the same dimension. Just plugged up the hole with a new plug and voila, good as new. Didn't have to drop the dough on a new radiator. Thanks for your help

• Like 1