Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will a GL rear brake drum fit loyale?

Hey there I'm new to the forum (and working on cars in general). I need a replacement rear brake drum for my 4WD 92 loyale. The local junkyard only has 2WD loyales right now so the drums won't work. However, they do have a GL on the lot. Will the GL brake drum fit my loyale? 

Thanks in advance.

Joe

DL GL GLF GL10 all packages

Year break is what is important, square body, ea82, 4WD, 86+

You can ask the junkyard to cross reference parts for clarification or you can goto a major supplier's website and do it yourself

Thanks for the quick response. 

Yea the GL is an 87, non turbo. Not sure about whether its an ea82 or 81... I'll make sure its an ea82 when I go back to the yard today before I take the drums.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the drum and threw it on the car just to get things moving but it has some wear that's got me a little concerned... It has some abnormal wear on the outside of the part that fits the spindle (sorry I don't what that parts called). I should have taken a picture of the actual brake drum but I did make this little picture to show what I'm talking about.

http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/sextond1/media/brakedrum_zpsd903a420.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

The surface where the red arrow is pointing is worn down allot. Is this a big deal? It still seats on spindle fine and ive drove it around a day or two with no problems, I just wonder if this surface is important for keeping brake dust out of the wheel bearing and I've created a future problem for myself...

Edited by joe5

there will be a natural wear mark where the seal engages it. any more wear would be clue to a failed wheel bearing or loose axle nut, or improperly installed washer on the axle nut. the flat washer is a spring washer, convex, with the convex side against the nut, and the concave side against the cone washer

if the bearing is failing, the wheel will have negative camber, and thhe drum will be skewed vs the shoes, causing uneven wear or curtting grooves in the drum. I would investigate replacing the wheel bearings, and replace the axle nut hardware.

for what the trouble is worth, take toe opportunity to convert to disc brake.

in regard to the bearing, it's actually less work to swap the whole control arm, brake and all, with a known good unit

Yea but while the bearing may have failed on the jy car i pulled the drum from, the wheel bearing is brand new on my car as I just replaced it. So I have no reason to think there is problem with my bearing or hardware (yet ha, unless my jy brake drum changes that situation...which is what im getting at with my question).