Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to open stuck door

One of the back doors of my 88 loyale won't open from the inside or outside, the handle doesn't feel like it's doing anything. I don't think I can get the inside door panel off very easily with the door closed. Is there a trick to getting these guys open?

You might get it open going old school with a coat hanger and time if if it turns out it's the only option besides cutting up the door up. If i were you i would take out the bottom portion of the rear seat and take off the door panel since it's easy to do but might be a challenge to get the bottom off.

I just had one of these doors apart last night. I took out the guts of the door before I scrapped them. The inside and outside latches are on seperate rods. I would bet that the latch failed internally and its not either of the handles. I think you need to get the internal panel off. I don't think you need much room to pop them off. Just remove the trim piece for the internal handle first and I think you will be able to get that panel off. I can take pictured of the latch mechanism tonight if it will help.

If you have to lift your doors to open them, try opening the door and placing a jack underneath, raise it up a little bit. Lower it, check it, repeat if necessary. Be careful. Should work it up enough to with time.

• Like 1