Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 legacy outback 2.5 liter rough idle

I just changed the knock sensor and the motor is running more smoothly but it still has lack of power.

I am at a loss here with this. I am thinking maybe a misfire but unsure at this point. Just changed plugs and wires not too long ago. Maybe a coil pack?

anyone have their subaru do this?

no check engine light, i will check the wires. im going to hook it up on the obd2 tonight when i get it from family just to make sure.

my ex uncle tried to tell me that the engine was bad i knew better and he also told me that the knock sensor was bad but not to worry about it it was nothing the car couldnt run without. i know better so i changed that knock sensor and it was cracked and running better just not 100%. I just put some heet in it because of it setting all winter and i know the gas is bad.

Those 90s 2.5 motors are notorious for head gasket issues. It's only one possibility of many, but do a search on here for signs and symptoms and check it out just in case.

Other possibilities to start with are fuel filter and sometimes the pump.

Check for any vacuum leaks/cracked or loose hoses.

seafoam can work wonders to spruce up a gunky motor or system - never hurts

Coils usually do not fail.  

If you want a spare or two, I have a stack of them from the 2.5 to 2.2 swaps.

$20 shipped

HG are easy to figure out, 

Check to make sure the radiator itself is full when cold

Check the Over flow bottle for black oily stuff

Larry

Setting all winter, now with old bad gas. Best thing is to just drive the car. Run that old gas through the car. Take it out on the highway, and run it at 70 mpy for a good while. I bet with a fresh tank of gas, your car will run a lot better. Add some Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas will help too.

I am wondering why you would have an all wheel drive car, and not drive it through rough winter snow and ice?? What is the story??

I also have a AWD Explorer, so it was drove this winter because I didnt have the means to fix this one and was told the engine was blown. But now that I changed the knock sensor it is a lot smoother so that is the reason why it wasnt driven. I am planning on getting the tune up today at work and we will go from there.

I thought the OE style plugs were the best option, even though they're expensive. I think it's the PFR5B-11 plugs that I was told to use. Besides, since they aren't the easiest to replace I'd rather run something that lasts longer than copper - my old Integra was a different story. 

NGK plug wires are the best choice as well. 

When my car had bad head gaskets it still drove fine. Made the same power as far as I could tell. Not that it was ever fast, but it was no more sluggish than usual. I never ended up with black stuff in the overflow as far as I can remember, even though I was driving it around for a while with blown head gaskets. When they blow, they tend to push exhaust into the coolant and therefore push the coolant out. You can get away with driving on it for a while as long as you make sure it doesn't run out of coolant.

You have the EJ25D, right? Meaning a DOHC engine, it's easy to spot. 

When my car had bad head gaskets it still drove fine. Made the same power as far as I could tell. Not that it was ever fast, but it was no more sluggish than usual. I never ended up with black stuff in the overflow as far as I can remember, even though I was driving it around for a while with blown head gaskets. When they blow, they tend to push exhaust into the coolant and therefore push the coolant out. You can get away with driving on it for a while as long as you make sure it doesn't run out of coolant.

You have the EJ25D, right? Meaning a DOHC engine, it's easy to spot. 

Living proof!

...how long is "a while?"

My car does the rough idle thing too. No CEL or anything, just noticable and intermittent. Being a 97 with 72k and no maintinece records (and practically sitting for 2 years) i popped out one of the spark plugs, and found it was filthy. Havent got around to changing them yet, its on the "pre-college tune-up/project" list. Try some higher quality platinum tip plugs and see if it makes a difference.

ok guys here is the latest

I did the complete tune up after the knock sensor and changed the plugs, wires, pcv valve, ignition coil, air filter and fuel filter.

We are getting spark on all cylinders but when it comes to cylinder 1 & 3 we arent getting enough spark so its like its running on 2 cylinders.

I am at a loss with this I dont what else to do.

Living proof!

...how long is "a while?"

My car does the rough idle thing too. No CEL or anything, just noticable and intermittent. Being a 97 with 72k and no maintinece records (and practically sitting for 2 years) i popped out one of the spark plugs, and found it was filthy. Havent got around to changing them yet, its on the "pre-college tune-up/project" list. Try some higher quality platinum tip plugs and see if it makes a difference.

It was probably 10k from when it first showed a symptom (that I didn't realize was head gasket at the time), and maybe 5k once I realized it. It got bad enough that it couldn't go 100 miles without a re-fill.