Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car Radio Replacement?

High on the short list of things my '92 Loyale wagon needs is a proper sound system. Some kind soul installed a nice pair of Pioneer coaxials in the front doors, but the factory AM/FM unit has to go. Do I need to watch out for specific fitment issues on radios, are there any electrical/wiring concerns (I am a recovering Volvo owner), can I mount speakers in the rear hatch panel, etc. TIA.

• Like 1

I just put a new head unit and speakers in the back doors of my loyale wagon. I didn't need a CD player so I went with a mechless head unit. The unit was only about 4 inches deep so there was absolutely no fitment issues.I bought a faceplate adaptor and a wiring harness adaptor so I could plug in unit. I did run new wires for the back door speakers since the Subaru was common ground. You could either run new wire to the fronts or backs to eliminate issues with the common ground. The rear doors have wiring for speakers and cutouts for 6 1/2 in round speakers. You'd need to make a cutout specific to your speakers but its all easy. I ended up getting a pioneer Bluetooth head unit so I could go handsfree with the phone but its really nice for listening to music on all other formats but CD.

P5190803.jpg

I didn't need a CD player so I went with a mechless head unit. 

If you don't mind, what was the model you put in and how is it at pulling in stations? One of the complaints I hear sometimes about newer car stereos is they are full of features, but lack decent radio reception. Thanks.
Edited by bendecker
  • Like 1

If you don't mind, what was the model you put in and how is it at pulling in stations? One of the complaints I hear sometimes about newer car stereos is they are full of features, but lack decent radio reception. Thanks.

Pioneer MVH-X560BT is the head unit. I haven't had issues with radio reception but I'm in an urban area too. I did have to buy an antenna cable extension to hook the unit up.

Only drawback on these newer units is you really can't see anything on the display during the day.

• Like 1

and older trick was to cut the antenna connection out of a junk car, strip it down, and screw it directly to ground on the chassis.  if your antenna in the car sucks that can help, though you do open yourself up to some issues like engine noise in the speakers.  doesnt always do it, Ive had some cars pick up stations flawlessly, and others whined.  depends on the whole system.  the theory (though not based on science as much as lack of patience and worry) was that your car is a much better antenna than your antenna.