Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anything is possible with enough $$$$.

Comes down to how much you want to send and the reliability of the engine once it's built.

Read the Franken Motor thread.

Edited by lmdew

I haven't found a STI motor for less than $4000. Would it cost that much to turbo the 2.5?

what you're missing is that people pay $4,000 because there's no cheap/easy/effective way to do what you're asking.

if it were as easy as you think, they wouldn't cost $4,000.

the exhaust work could run $1,000.

done right, it would cost more than $4,000.  turbo, custom exhaust and/or crossmember work, install turbo pistons, higher flow injectors, and an aftermarket controller (ECU), EGT monitor, wide band O2.

forced induction engines have low compression pistons, non-turbo engines have high compression pistons. 

forced induction and high compression pistons don't play nice.  that's what you're asking "can i put a turbo on my high compression short block?"

yes - but it's a very risky and power is limited.

you can put a turbo on it and run very low boost, the stock ECU and injectors can handle a little more flow.  be careful though, a big KABOOM isn't far away.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1