Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 2.2 Valve Job vs used engine replacement

My 1997 Outback 5 speed has about 270K miles. It's got the 2.2L engine so I've learned it is a replacement for the original 2.5L engine. I just bought a year ago so I have no idea how many miles on this engine.  It's starting to run rough.. sometimes one cylinder goes dead till I restart it and now the idle is very rough. Once running (down the freeway) it's ok though. Only error code is for the occasional misfire and the fact I have no big catalytic converter so the second O2 sensor is not hooked up. 

My mechanic said it's probably in need of a valve job and that the cost of that would be $1500.  I'm wondering if it might make more sense to purchase one of those used 2.2 engines offered online with around 60K miles on them.  There seems to be quite a few offered by various vendors. A company called SW engines is one that I saw. I don't know what the labor would be but I imagine you have to pull the engine to do a valve job.. is this correct? 

Wouldn't it make more sense to replace the engine with something with a lot less miles so that I would be getting everything else in the engine with a lot fewer miles?  I would hate to invest the $1500 only to discover in a very short while that I need new timing chain or rod bearings etc etc etc.  

Aside from a little rust (Michigan) the car will serve me for several years to come if I can get the engine running well and reliably and a couple of thousand to make that happen will be a lot cheaper than scrapping it and buying another.... with it's own set of problems.  At least... aside from the engine, this is a known commodity.  

Anyone have experience with these used engines? At $1000-$1500 they look like a reasonable alternative since a rebuilt is in the range of $2500+.

Edited by revtim

Plugs and wires are always a good place to start. Easy and cheap and many times will take care of random misfires. The symptoms you describe don't scream burned valve, so for the time being a tune-up is probably all it realy needs. Plugs, wires, filters, new PCV valve.

If it does have a burned valve you can put a new valve in it for under $100 in parts. Of course that is doing the bare minimum, pulling the head off and replacing just the valve, and that assumes you do the work yourself. There's certainly NO need to rebuild the entire engine over just a burned valve.

Pull the valve cover off the passenger side (easy side) and see if it has adjustable rocker arms. Those need adjustment from time to time to keep the correct valve lash clearance. If valve clearance is too small it can lead to a burned valve.

we either have too little information or a terrible diagnosis. 

EJ22's rarely need valve jobs so unless there was a thorough diagnosis done that's likely incorrect.

sounds like you have a misfire- if so then just fix the misfire, valves are a possible cause but they're one of the less likely. 

1. how did the mechanic determine it was valves and not something else?

2.  is the check engine light on - for misfires?  then you need to find out why it has a misfire.

plugs, wires, fuel injector, coil pack, igniter are all way more likely than valves.

maybe it just needs the valves adjusted?  that's like $100  but not all EJ22's have adjustable valves.

at some point it should get a complete timing belt kit - $115 for Gates kits on Amazon so you have all new belt, tensioner, and pulleys.

does the exhaust manifold have single or dual port exhaust?  that may help us.

if it does need valve work - i'd just swap in two used heads.  those heads are so unbelievably easy to replace it should not cost much at all.  you want a mechanic to give you a proper quote on it though. 

most Subaru headgaskets are a lot more work - and are also very common.  you're very likely to get quoted for the higher priced headgasket job when yours is much easier.

$150 for a set of used heads.  $300 for parts and a few hundred for install.

Edited by grossgary
  • Like 1