Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone recommend cv joints for a 4" lift?

I have a 3" on my '85 Brat. I've had to replace several front axles, moreso the passenger side. I've noticed it really seems to be the axles themselves, meaning the quality just isn't very good. Some last longer than others. I've had a couple come bad right out of the box. My parts place says they are new, not reman, but I have my doubts. Not accusing them of dishonesty as I suspect somewhere in the reman process an extra step is taken that allows them to call them "new". Not sure about that, I'm just talking out my rump roast on that part.

My cv joints are shredding since the lift. I read the other threads on here and it seems like I have done everything correctly. I have a 86 Brat with the sjr 4" lift.

Do you have a pitch stopper bar installed.

You must have one or the engine is lifting every time you hit the gas.

Perhaps it IS axle quality. I am working from an OLD stock pile of J/Y axles and parts I have saved over the years. Mostly factory stuff. Also some DTA 8606's I think. Anyway, looks good to me too.

My EA81 wagon is FT 4WD with a custom 3.9 RX trans and a CLSD rear. Is your car FWD most of the time perhaps? That might explain why I am not shredding them as fast.  Anyway I hope you resolve it soon. Good Luck.

Edited by Crazyeights