Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 build questions

Perhaps these were answered someplace, but I wasn't able to find enough.  I'm considering going from the small valve EA81 heads to the larger valve ones, via machine shop work at RAM performance.  I trust them to do an awesome job since thier engines keep planes in the air, but I'm just wondering if this is worth it to do.  Obviously it will flow better, but it it really worth $700? I'll also be doing a FI conversion from an 88 ea82 car, so I know thats where the majority of the power increase will come from for my currenly single barrel carter setup.  Anyone done just the valves and have an idea of how much the increased flow matters?

Edit: I should mention that Ron at Ram performance plans on doing a 5 angle valve job, and including new SS valves and new brass guides.

Edited by Dania02525

Depending on the year of your engine, you may be able to get bigger valves just by changing heads.

If yours is 83 and earlier, you may have small valve heads, where as the 83 1/2 and up heads have the bigger higher flowing valves.

Twitch

PS: I've done a high compression build and so have a few others, so feel free to peruse our threads (found in the performance and 2nd gen section) and ask questions as they arise :)

I think I was a little surprised to read the difference between the valves is a whole 1, one, uno millimetere! Is I am correct ?

Or is it the bigger valve heads flowed better - there are some differences in std EA81 heads in the casting - some had support braces in the casting in between easy to see spot near head bolt heads....