Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 02 OBW has 138K on it.  Found the Temp needle sky high ten minutes into a drive.  Added some water and noticed that if I kept the RPMs up above 3000 the temp stayed down and heat worked.  Once I get the RPM down around 2000, the heat cuts off and temp goes up. I thought this means the water pump is bad.  But I found out from my stealership friend that the OEM water pumps never fail moving some water.  I checked and it looks like I get the bubbles in the coolant when I rev it up from a cold start.  And one cylinder is not firing at idle.  So is it the dreaded HG issue?  thanks

mike

My 02 OBW has 138K on it.  Found the Temp needle sky high ten minutes into a drive.  Added some water and noticed that if I kept the RPMs up above 3000 the temp stayed down and heat worked.  Once I get the RPM down around 2000, the heat cuts off and temp goes up. I thought this means the water pump is bad.  But I found out from my stealership friend that the OEM water pumps never fail moving some water.  I checked and it looks like I get the bubbles in the coolant when I rev it up from a cold start.  And one cylinder is not firing at idle.  So is it the dreaded HG issue?  thanks

mike

No one wants it to be HGs, but it sounds ominous.

If there's any chance it isn't, could be just a bubble of air trapped in the system. Sometimes filling thru the upper hose, then filling the radiator and o'flow bottle gets it filled. Other people try to get the nose up and 'burp' air out that way.

I rarely read about valve work, but you want the heads resurfaced a little. Block is usually OK.

And you want multilayer steel haedgaskets. OEM for a turbo car, or Six Star w'ever brand. You search for details on that work.

If you think the engine has ever been severely over heated, a swapeed wrecker engine, rebuilt with with new MLS gaskets, might be a longer-lasting engine. maybe half the miles too. Did you engine get timing belt back at 105K? if not, now's a good time for that service.

Ask in a new thread for a shop recommendation in StL. maybe some one knows of a soob-expereinced mech near you.

Thanks Guys, looks like I'm off to find some glass.   I've got a friend that works at the local stealership that will do it as a side job this weekend.   This will be my second HG suby that I'm helping do.  The first time we just hand sanded the heads and it ran for years…till a relative wrecked it.   I would rather try the glass method.

I'll stay away from the valve job and replace any gasket I get close too.

good job, glass is available everywhere, just don't use tempered/safety glass it doesn't have the inherent straightness. 

they always have high and low spots, after doing a few yourself you'll see why it's very wise to resurface these heads which are prone to fail anyway.