Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control light flashing and Check Engine

I have a 2005 Outback I bought from my grandfather.  It has 78,000 miles on it.  I seem to be having some kind of electrical problem.  The check engine light came on and the cruise control light is flashing even though it's not actually on and didn't turn it on in the first place.  I also can't get it to turn off either.  Also, when I'm listening to the radio it will stop and the CD player will just start going all by itself.  It will do all that for about a day or two and then it will stop.  This morning it started doing it again.  The first time it happened I took it to a mechanic and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it.  The second time it happened (1 month later) I took it to a different shop and they said the catalytic converter needed to be replaced.  Of course I'm think "What does that have to do with my cruise control flashing?"  I wanted to see if anyone can help with with this problem or give me some advice before I pay $1400 to have something fixed that may or may not be broken.  Other than the weird electrical things the car seems to be running just fine. 

Any information would be appreciated.

• Like 1

don't just replace the cat conv because the words happen to be in a DTC's description. Codes do not often point precisely to a bad part, just a system that is outside allowed thresholds.

get the actual codes read at a parts store and post them here. Even better, if the parts store scanner can get freezeframe data (fuel trims ,etc.) post that info too.

normal for a check engine light to be accompanied by other systems the ECU disables like cruise, and traction control, etc.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Respectfully I have done a lot of reseach on this specific issue. I had engine misfire codes, O2 codes,  and had people tell me to replace my cat.  Well I am glad I did not.  This worked perfectly and saved me a lot of money.   If you have taken you car to an oil change facility to get your oil changed and they unplugged the Air Flow sensor with the key on it will cause this.  It is right by the Air Cleaner.  Simply remove the battery terminals and let set for ten minutes and reinstall.  If problem comes back remove spark plug wires and inspect for traces of oil on the plug wires and plugs.  Valve cover seals around the plug it will cause slight leakage and short your plug.  Remove plugs and replace if you haven't done it recently.  Don't go cheap buy iridium plugs you'll be happier.  This is what I did.  This is just me now so don't beat me up Subaru mechanics.  I cleaned the holes thoroughly with carb cleaner and blew out with air.  I took the high quality black gasket maker and resealed the upper side of the holes just inside the holes.  I gapped and reinstalled new iridium plugs.  I then put a touch of dialectric grease on the inside of wire and help seal wire plug.  I also put thin coat of dialectric grease on the outside of the plug wire to prevent gasket maker from glueing the plug into the hole.  Again you will have to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and reinstall.  When you restart your car it will take and couple of time to start.  Don't worry it is computer resetting itself.  I hope this helps.

go to your local chain parts store - Advance Auto, Autozone, O'Reillys, what have you - most will read the codes for you for free. They wont clear them, but they can tell you what they are.

If they have the ability to print out the codes, ask them to do so - if they cant, write them down - the WHOLE code - usually a letter followed by 4 numbers. example: P0304 or similar.

Come back here and post the full code(s) to get help with whatever the codes are.

As said above, when the CEL comes on the cruise will be disabled and the light flashes. Get the codes read and post them here.

05s are known to have radio problems. The CD player goes haywire and it will drain the battery one of these days. No fix for that other than to replace the radio. You can try your luck with a used replacement or get an aftermarket head unit from somewhere like Crutchfield.

Any car audio shop can sell you the dash mounting kit to fit an aftermarket stereo, but crutchfield includes that and the wire harness adapter for free if you spend over $130 on a head unit.