Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback, 75,000 miles (really was a little old ladys car) 

Automatic trans.

I've been driving it a year, typical problems, but runs great.  Yesterday, about 1 mile into a 6 mile round trip into town and back, I noticed the tach needle flitting about, dropping to peg, then working properly for a few moments.  Very eratic.  I pulled over and put trans in park, revved it to 4,000 RPM for a few seconds, and then it worked fine for the rest of the trip.

What might cause this?

I wondered about conditions.  It's been below zero at nights lately.  I've tracked snow onto the floorboards, and gotten a lot condensation on the inside of the windows which frosts over night, then when the car warms up turns to water to mopped off the inside of the widows with a towell.  Run the air condioner and heater on high with defrost. Shooting in the dark there, I doubt this really has anything to with the tach.

Well, things have dried out in the cabin, humid weather is over for the time being.  The tach has behaved perfectly ever since that one incident a few days ago, so maybe that was it. 

Wer the alternator of battery causing the irratic tach behavior, wouldn't there be other symptoms as well?  (I'm not aware of any)