Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have officially screwed up

So long story short, one of my drivers side torsion bar bolts sheared off leaving about an inch and a half in the car, tried extracting it with absolutely no luck, ended up popping the weld on the bolt to the frame. So uhh I have absolutely no idea what to do, super broke right now and am now left with no car.

Well... Officially you need Help.

That will require a New Screw and Welding Job... Depending on the Damage, there are also other routes you might take to fix that ... a Photo of the area will help us to determine which way is or could be better; however if you are Broke and have no Welder, maybe another USMB Member with a welder, lives nearby your place, and could help you.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I might be able to help during the week.  a pic of the area would help.  I would be concerned that my portable setup may be inadequate since its a 110v unit, but id have to see the area.

where in portland are you?  

I live in washington but not terrible far from the bridge, so I would do it for gas money as long as everything lines up.  ill pm you my number, give me a text or call.

Edited by djellum
  • Like 1

Actually good news... Well kind of. I'm not sure what I was looking at but the nut is still on there, the bolt however is still totally stuck, my just off centered hole that I drilled out hasn't helped the matter either. For the time being I just bolted everything I could up so I can roll it out of my garage.

That's where I'm at for now

Another option is to drill all the way though and out the other side into the inside of the body with a long 1/8" bit, then come from the topside with a hole saw and drop a nut and washer in from the top. It depends on where the captured nut is. I've also welded a nut to a big fender washer, drilled a clearance hole in the body for the nut to go in, and welded the fender washer to the outside of the body.