Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 to EJ22 after swap issues

Hello all,

I have just done the 25 to 22 swap and it was very easy in the end. I have a 98 outback wagon and the donor car was a 95 Liberty ( Legacy ). I had a bit of confusion with the wiring and that was sorted out in a previous post -" EJ25D to EJ22E wiring issues" if you want to check out the background to help me with this question.

The 22 is in and runs beautifully once it is warm. When it is cold it is hard to start and takes about 10 seconds of winding over with the starter. Once it does fire it only does about 300 or 400 revs for about 10 seconds then it goes up to normal idle. When it is hot it starts perfectly, it will fire within 1 or 2 seconds on the starter and goes straight to about 1500 revs and then back to idle like it should every time.

The other issue is the thermo fans come on as soon as you turn the key on. I don't know if these 2 things are related or maybe they are symptoms pointing to the obvious problem or part that isn't working.

As I saod I have only just finished the swap so have only run it in the shed for 15 mins or so a couple of times then test driven it for a few miles the next morning. In the afternoon I ran it and unplugged the fans and let it get to temp then plugged the fans back in and let it run for half an hour. I guess the ECU would not of had time to learn the differences as yet.

Both cars were working as normal before the swap and didn't have either issue.

i know there is one temp sender on the top front of the block between the

alt and P/S pump ( give or take ) where is the other one

that is the oil pressure sensor, not temp.

the temp sensors are in the crossover pipe under the intake manifold.

the 2 wire unit feeds the ECU.

also check the green diagnostic connectors under the dash.

do you have any trouble codes?

all vac hoses reconnected?

no open nipples on the intake or under it?

Edited by johnceggleston

Ok my mistake with the oil sender.

Don't know about any fault codes yet.

Yes all the vac hoses are connected.

But I know now that redish brown connector is the problem. All the other connectors clicked when they went back together. That one just pushed in. I didn't think much of it at the time other than it seemed a bit loose. I'll put money on that coming off !

Got home from work and with a torch looked down through the maze of wires and tubes and there was the little brown conection sitting all by its lonesome ! Plugged it back in ( that was a story of contortion and swearing ) and turned the key to on. No fans ! Hit the key and it fired straight up.

It's been an adventure for a novice but it looks and runs just like a bought one !!

Thanks to all for the help.