Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant in the oil! what now?

I just found out I have coolant in the oil, not sure for how long. Last oil change was a couple months ago but only 300 miles ago. They didn't notice it but I'm not sure if they looked. The mechanic saw it today while working on something else. He changed the oil. I only drive a few miles a week so am wondering how long before I have to address this and whether I need to get a different motor rather than just fix the problem, whatever it turns out to be. I want to keep this car for years, 2003 Forester with 154k. No rust cause I bought it before I moved from Colorado. Any and all input appreciated.

In have to question if there was coolant/moisture just in the cap, or if it was on the dipstick down in the pan.

The inside of the engine will naturally collect moisture as water/humidity in the air condenses on the metal surfaces inside the engine. Normally when the car is driven regularly for long distances (more than 10-15 miles) the engine gets hot and any moisture will evaporate and be burned off with the other crankcase vapors via the PCV system.

If the car is only driven very short distances the moisture doesn't have the chance to evaporate, so it stays in the engine. It will normally collect at the higher points such as inside the oil filler tube and cap, and in the top areas of the dipstick tube.

The way to avoid this is to drive the car. At least once a week you want to get the car up to full operating temperature and drive it for 20-30 minutes to get that moisture to evaporate out of the engine.

If it continues to be a problem, it will need the head gaskets replaced. Be sure to keep an eye on oil level in the engine, and coolant level in the radiator.

• Like 1

Actually the oil was overfull and the whole bucket looked like frothy cafe au lait! The mechanic said like a coffee milkshake. You couldn't see through it at all. Kind of like baby poop color yuck. I was shocked to see it. A while back I was dripping something, could have been coolant on the ground, but not a lot. I know there is a small leak in the power steering which is why I'm wondering how far to go in fixing/replacing. I'm afraid to drive far now.

If the oil looked that bad I would not drive very far either!  If your lucky you haven't ruined the bearings yet but... You might have a mechanic look into the Japanese  takeout engines ,or a good junk yard motor to have installed. Power steering rack dripping is nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I live in a part of the country where subarus are pretty rare. A junked one is impossible to find. I am going to start looking from my end. I might try to get ahold of my old mechanic in Colorado and see if he can find something. But hopefully I will only need head gaskets.

If you are hoping for head gaskets only, then before you even start it again drain out the milk shake oil and change the filter, add as cheap an oil as you can buy and still try not to run it any more than you have to. Make sure the mechanic uses subaru head gaskets only. I still think that if you check,  somewhere nearby (Chicago?)  there will be a company importing used take out Japanese engines , around here they are called (foreign engines ) Good used 30,000 mile take out motors. 

Actually the oil was overfull and the whole bucket looked like frothy cafe au lait! The mechanic said like a coffee milkshake. You couldn't see through it at all. Kind of like baby poop color yuck. I was shocked to see it. A while back I was dripping something, could have been coolant on the ground, but not a lot. I know there is a small leak in the power steering which is why I'm wondering how far to go in fixing/replacing. I'm afraid to drive far now.

Oh! Well... In that case, either someone dumped a gallon of coolant into the wrong hole, or you have the worst blown head gasket I've heard of in a Subaru.

Do you think it's possible someone put washer fluid in by mistake? They are close together, I think. Or could it be water? It has new oil in now and I will check it in a couple days. I only drive about 1/2 mile to work, and only 3 days a week. I don't have to drive any more than that. Can you see a blown head gasket without taking things apart? Obviously I am not a mechanic!

Terry ; Are other people adding fluids to your car ?  The water reservoir is near the oil fill but...  1/2 mile 3 days a week... exercise ? bicycle ? shoe leather ? lol sorry couldn't help myself.   SOMEBODY ?... could have added a wrong fluid.  No clear easy way to check gaskets , but as bad as yours was, if it is the gaskets you will know quickly. Be warned every time you start it,  if there is coolant in the oil you WILL be damaging your bearings.

Lol;  Ok If.. fluid was added by mistake and it does happen, even to a certified mechanic or a teenager at a quick lube.  You need to change that oil again very soon!! Was your radiator yucky also ? If so it needs flushing, repeatedly. If no oil in radiator ,that's a good sign.  If you check your oil every time you can and it stays clean..and your car is not overheating... maybe it will be ok... Change that oil again SOON

You mean for a 2nd time? It was changed yesterday. I called the shop today and they said there was no separation of the oil overnight, it is still milky. I will get it checked midweek to see if it is changing again. He said it was much more than just condensation.

Took it in to check the oil after the change but I haven't driven enough I guess. It looks good but may not have circulated it. I have been afraid to drive it. I'll take it for a few spins and check again. I can only hope against hope that somehow another fluid got in the oil by mistake and hasn't done any damage.....

oil coolers are a place where oil and coolant could mix if oil coolers can fail internally.  not sure about your year but i know earlier foresters had oil coolers.

that kind of failure is nearly unheard of on that engine and it sounds like quite a bit.

1.  was the coolant a significant amount low - equivalent to how high the oil was?

2.  how long have you owned this car - how many miles?

3.  what do the headgaskets look like - do they look like they've been replaced or the 10+ year old crusty originals?  look where they protrude from the block.  or post a picture of them.

if they've been replaced then some failure is much more likely.

if it's this bad - i would be surprised you've never had coolant loss, overheating.

www.car-part.com

I haven't bother to read all the posts but if the oil pan had an extra gallon the question is where did the extra gallon come from? If from a leaking gasket, then the radiator would have to be a gallon low and the engine would overheat. If you didn't have to top off the radiator, there is nothing wrong with the head gaskets. 

Here's the history....had an oil change done 12/12/14, 153k miles. Had work done on heater cable mechanism and he topped off fluids per mechanic, in January. Battery failed 2/6/15 and oil mess was discovered, 153,175 miles. Oil and filter was changed, oil was overfull but not sure by how much. Radiator level was not low. Only put about 6 miles on it when checked again and oil was clean. Will be putting more miles on it and checking again. Not sure how long it has to run to find out if coolant is getting into oil.

Here's the history....had an oil change done 12/12/14, 153k miles. Had work done on heater cable mechanism and he topped off fluids per mechanic, in January. Battery failed 2/6/15 and oil mess was discovered, 153,175 miles. Oil and filter was changed, oil was overfull but not sure by how much. Radiator level was not low. Only put about 6 miles on it when checked again and oil was clean. Will be putting more miles on it and checking again. Not sure how long it has to run to find out if coolant is getting into oil.

This is definitely looking like the mechanic put the wrong fluid down the wrong hole.  As others have said, I'd get another oil change done very soon to insure all of the contaminated stuff is out of the engine.  Keep an eye on the coolant level - just in case - and get the car out on a good drive to get things circulated and cleaned up.  Then do another oil change to know that every last bit of contamination is out of that engine.  Hopefully you dodged a bullet on this one, and this mechanic didn't ruin your engine. Otherwise, I'd be on their case to pay for the swap.