Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so close

i was at my local pull and save the other day and came upon a subaru that had just been put in the yard opened the hood and saw a 6 cyl  i went to ask how much   they asked what car and got all excited and pulled the car damn next time i will keep my mouth shut and pull the engine by the way are the 3.0 engines any good.

Honestly I think the trouble you would have to go through to make it fit wouldn't be worth it. Plus it's an OBD 2 engine, you'd have to do an ECU and Harness swap. Someone else might know on here if they are good motors or not, I think it's basically a 2.5 with an additional 2 cylinders on the back. I do know there's nothing special about them though.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but for fun, Im pretty sure Ive seen a write up on using the er27. Theres a prominent member loyale2.7 with a car called "the bumblebeast" i couldnt find the swap info but I thought at one time he had a site or some online material regaurding the swap. Maybe hell chime in.

Edited by ihscout54
  • Like 1

Honestly I think the trouble you would have to go through to make it fit wouldn't be worth it. Plus it's an OBD 2 engine, you'd have to do an ECU and Harness swap. Someone else might know on here if they are good motors or not, I think it's basically a 2.5 with an additional 2 cylinders on the back. I do know there's nothing special about them though.

Completely false.

The 3.0 is an entirely different motor.

Fully parallel cooling system.  Chain Driven, DOHC.  Chain Driven Water pump. Coil on plug ignition.

They make 240+ Horsepower, reliably, with no worries about T-belt service.

The OBD II harness is not much more complicated a strip down than the 4 cyl versions.

I think they are a very special motor indeed.  Ours has 260k plus miles and counting.....and the only thing besides oil changes it's needed are spark plugs, an Oil Cooler O-ring, and the serpentine belt idler bearings..........Pennies on the dollar maintainence wise to any other subaru I've owned.

• Like 1

Wow, excellent info. I meant by nothing special though is they are found in outbacks and not like they are incredibly rare. The reason I asked for what vehicle to put it in is I remember soop talking about his 88 DL in a separate post and wanted to let him know the hassle of trying to put one in his car, if he was thinking of it. Glad you chimed in Gloyale, I was curious.

Wow, excellent info. I meant by nothing special though is they are found in outbacks and not like they are incredibly rare. The reason I asked for what vehicle to put it in is I remember soop talking about his 88 DL in a separate post and wanted to let him know the hassle of trying to put one in his car, if he was thinking of it. Glad you chimed in Gloyale, I was curious.

Okay I understand more now.

Didn't mean to jump on you just correcting a few facts   which I do in an overzealous way sometimes.

They aren't "rare" so to speak but I think very special engineering indeed.

Harness strips are a big hassle in a sense, and also very much doable and been done.  H6 is slightly more espescially 01-05 are pretty easy compared to later with drive by wire and Variable valve timing.

Biggest issue would not be any of that going into a 88 DL.......it would be fitting a radiator once it was in there!!

... I love the fact that you jump on posts and tell facts because you have hands on work with these things which in turn is good for everybody!

Yes, I appreciate that also.

Back in topic, I still believe that to stuff a 6 Cyl. on an old gen Wagon or Sedan is Not a Good idea, it triggers the avalanche effect, where everything begins with something "Simple" and you end up changing a lot of things you did not want ... as I stated on the writeup.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

... i figgured for 150 with everything attached it would have been nice to have around in case a vehicle came up that it would fit.

In my own humble opinion, if you want to keep a Subaru Engine lying around "Just in Case" then, I kindly suggest you to get an Impreza / Legacy one, because eventually many old-school Subaru owners, falls in love with the "EJ it" idea ... and if you don't use it, an EJ engine would be much easier to sell after all.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1