Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped exhaust stand

Ea82 had a missing nut on the driver side exhaust flange at the head. I put a new nut on it and go to tighten it and find out that the threads in the head for the stud are stripped. Opinions on jb weld to fix this problem or anybody have a similar situation? I really don't want to get into drilling and tapping and all that jazz.

What Dave said, it would be wise to get a good helicoil set just to have if you own a subaru haha. I had never heard of helicoils till I owned a subaru! They are really easy to do, you will have to drill out the old hole and re tap it for the helicoil but it's aluminum and real easy to do.

• Like 1

What Dave said, it would be wise to get a good helicoil set just to have if you own a subaru haha. I had never heard of helicoils till I owned a subaru! They are really easy to do, you will have to drill out the old hole and re tap it for the helicoil but it's aluminum and real easy to do.

Seems like a pain in the @55. I can only hear a slight leak from it and it's not like my sube is that quiet anyway lol

The leaking wont hurt anything.  I've run around with partially failed exhaust gaskets before.

I've pretty much got a set of helicoils for all of the bolts in a Subaru.

The best way I have found to avoid needing to use them is to run the car up to normal operating temperature [if possible] before trying to loosen sticky bolts. Then go easy.  If you pay attention, you can usually feel the difference between a bolt turning sticky and a bolt twisting off. 

• Like 2

You do not need a Helicoil.  I've fixed this dozens of times......never helicoiled one.

Get a 7/16ths-14 tap and run it in the hole.  The stripped hole should be perfect size already to run the tap in with a bit of lube.  it can even be done with the exhuast in place, through the flange.

Get a 7/16ths exhaust stud and nut.

install.

Done.

Way less money and time, and if it should ever happen again you still have room to use a helicoil later.

• Like 1

You do not need a Helicoil.  I've fixed this dozens of times......never helicoiled one.

Get a 7/16ths-14 tap and run it in the hole.  The stripped hole should be perfect size already to run the tap in with a bit of lube.  it can even be done with the exhuast in place, through the flange.

Get a 7/16ths exhaust stud and nut.

install.

Done.

Way less money and time, and if it should ever happen again you still have room to use a helicoil later.

You know I just picked up a tap and die set at an estate sale just two days ago. I looked at it and thought, "you know some day I may need that" lol. I was going to tap it last night (the exhaust for you dirty minded folks) but it was getting dark, the exhaust pipe was interfering with my T handle, and I was annoyed so I gave up for now. Thanks for giving me the sizes to use that was another hang up for me. Edited by loyale1993

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I opted to go with re tapping the stripped hole to 7/16". I attempted to go through the flange like suggested but I had 0 clearance for my tap handle to turn. So I tried to remove the exhaust pipe to gain access. Well, turns out the other stud was going to come out with the nut. I was afraid of stripping that one too and so I snugged it up and went with jb weld in the stripped out hole. I'm not real proud of doing that but I really didn't want to open a huge can of worms right now. (maybe I did anyway with using jb weld) I guess it will be interesting to see if it works or not.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Update:

I opted to go with re tapping the stripped hole to 7/16". I attempted to go through the flange like suggested but I had 0 clearance for my tap handle to turn. So I tried to remove the exhaust pipe to gain access. Well, turns out the other stud was going to come out with the nut. I was afraid of stripping that one too and so I snugged it up and went with jb weld in the stripped out hole. I'm not real proud of doing that but I really didn't want to open a huge can of worms right now. (maybe I did anyway with using jb weld) I guess it will be interesting to see if it works or not.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.

Well epic fail with the jb weld lol. As soon as the manifold got warmed up the jb weld turned to putty and I'm sure you can figure out the rest. I guess I'll get around to fixing it the right way in the near future.