Ultimate Subaru Message Board

From Manual Windows to Power Windows - How to on a 1998 Legacy Wagon?

Hey all... I have a couple old doors I want to remove and replace with cleaner versions...

I am only finding power window doors at the local Pick N Pull here and was wondering if it is possible to swap? I have been looking on Youtube for a how to video to replace the doors however there is nothing prior to 1998... so maybe I should even do a how to video on this procedure.

I know there must be a way but I need to get a good idea of what I am to do for all the electrical then I I would just proceed to do all the doors eventually.

Thanks again for all your help and replies in advance!

Cheers,

Johnny

Black Jacket 1998 Legacy Outback

Generally they come wired for most options - so yours may be pre-wired on the body side for the windows, not sure.  It's pre-wired for other stuff so my guess is it would be for windows too, but i've never heard of anyone doing power window door swaps.

Do the windows have a controller?  if so you'll need that if it resides in the body of the vehicle somewhere and isn't just self contained in the drivers control module.

Doors are so easy to replace that if a person needs a "how-to" video, they shouldn't be doing it.

1. remove 4 bolts for the hinges

2. knock the pin out of the assist arm

3. disconnect electrical connector

takes 15 minutes.  maybe 30 you're first time - it's a little wonky resting the big/awkward door on your leg while lining up and threading in bolts.  much easier with two people but also easy by yourself depending how experienced/resilient you are with that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

for electrical - you can compare the wiring diagrams and simply see if your cars current connector has the wiring pins/colors in the harness for the power controlled windows.

as long as it gets power I would assume the drivers side is going to work via it's own controller there on the door?

• Like 1

on imprezas, if they don't plug and play it loooks like there's a dedicated wiring harness that can be swapped running under the front seats.

FSM's are available free online if it comes to it, look through those - but hopefully someone knows.

Generally they come wired for most options - so yours may be pre-wired on the body side for the windows, not sure.  It's pre-wired for other stuff so my guess is it would be for windows too, but i've never heard of anyone doing power window door swaps.

Do the windows have a controller?  if so you'll need that if it resides in the body of the vehicle somewhere and isn't just self contained in the drivers control module.

Doors are so easy to replace that if a person needs a "how-to" video, they shouldn't be doing it.

takes 15 minutes.  maybe 30 you're first time - it's a little wonky resting the big/awkward door on your leg while lining up and threading in bolts.  much easier with two people but also easy by yourself depending how experienced/resilient you are with that kind of stuff.

This is great! The old doors don't have power windows so I will check them out for wiring outlets for the new doors that do have powered windows... Cheers and thanks for all the information...

• Like 1

Agree, that it is a two man job installing a car door. They are surprisingly heavy, and awkward to handle by yourself.

If you swap in the doors by yourself only, then rest the doors on a couple of bottle jacks supported by something substantial to reach proper height. Adjust the door height by jacking up the bottle jacks to the precise level you need to easily install the bolts.

I have also used this same technique to install new struts. Just jack up the strut, so the nuts at the top of the strut tower can be installed easily. Sure beats trying to wrestle the part in place, then trying to hold it there with one hand, while using the other hand to install nuts.

Pretty sure these are not wired for power windows if the car didn't come equipped, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find out. Follow the wiring in your donor car until you find a connector just inside the B pillar or on the floor at the base of the pillar. Then look for the same harness and plugs in your car. If the harness isn't there you'll be in for a body harness swap which entails pulling the carpet out and digging through the dash to get all the wires.

• Like 1

Pretty sure these are not wired for power windows if the car didn't come equipped, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find out. Follow the wiring in your donor car until you find a connector just inside the B pillar or on the floor at the base of the pillar. Then look for the same harness and plugs in your car. If the harness isn't there you'll be in for a body harness swap which entails pulling the carpet out and digging through the dash to get all the wires.

Thanks for this I had a feeling this would be an all day full meal deal dig, rip and pull then install... 

You guys rock... great friends own Subarus across the boards

Power window wiring would likely not be there on a crank window car. You'd need to swap the entire dash harness and the floor harness at the least, giant PITA. Much simpler to put your crank window regulators inside the new power window doors.

See if the body side connector for the door wiring behind the kick panel only has 2 wires going to the door for speakers.

If you were ambitious and wanted a wiring project you could wire your own power windows, I did a hyundai once that we couldn't find a replacement crank regulator for, so it ended up with one power window.

Power window wiring would likely not be there on a crank window car. You'd need to swap the entire dash harness and the floor harness at the least, giant PITA. Much simpler to put your crank window regulators inside the new power window doors.

See if the body side connector for the door wiring behind the kick panel only has 2 wires going to the door for speakers.

If you were ambitious and wanted a wiring project you could wire your own power windows, I did a hyundai once that we couldn't find a replacement crank regulator for, so it ended up with one power window.

thanks for the feedback... when I have time to do this I will consider both of these options.... the door has a dent in it and this why i want to remove it... cheers and all the best...

Edited by johnnyispy