Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm hearing a rubber creaking sound when taking sharp right turns usually from a standstill. It's only happening on right turns never left. The sound seems to be coming from the rear passenger side.  I removed the wheel and looked for obvious signs like a leaking strut, or and busted rubber pieces, but I can't quite narrow it down.  The car is a 95 legacy with 95k.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

have someone 'pace' the car in a parking lot to try to get as close as possible to the area with the noise.

does the noise track with tire rotations, getting faster as you move forward? or is it only a one time noise? Does it happen AS you turn the steering wheel or only after you first move forward?

Check all wheel wells for any shiny spots, freshly rubbed. Might sound like a "rear" noise but could be anywhere. How's your luggy nuts? Make sure nothing is loose in cargo areas. Uncle Bruno rules, "check the easy stuff first, so you don't look stupid later". I frequently look stupid btw...;( Good Luck

have someone 'pace' the car in a parking lot to try to get as close as possible to the area with the noise.

does the noise track with tire rotations, getting faster as you move forward? or is it only a one time noise? Does it happen AS you turn the steering wheel or only after you first move forward?

The noise doesn't track with tire rotations, but it does creak repeatedly if i drive in circles. It only happens when moving, it doesn't happen when just turning the wheel at a standstill.  It's not anything torque bind related which was something I was nervous about since i just replaced the Duty c solenoid, but the sound appears in 2wd mode too. 

weird

would it do it in both directions of a circle? Can you bounce the parked car at each corner and create the sound? Does touching the brakes lightly change the sound?  Certain it's coming from the rear?

some things to inspect; lug nuts and studs as said above , brake caliper brackets, u-joints, axles i guess - you might check temps of the hubs after a highway run with an infrared remote thermometer. maybe some crazy wheel bearing issue?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

weird

would it do it in both directions of a circle? Can you bounce the parked car at each corner and create the sound? Does touching the brakes lightly change the sound?  Certain it's coming from the rear?

some things to inspect; lug nuts and studs as said above , brake caliper brackets, u-joints, axles i guess - you might check temps of the hubs after a highway run with an infrared remote thermometer. maybe some crazy wheel bearing issue?

Circling to the left doesn't make the sound. Definitely the rear. bouncing the car doesn't create a sound. Touching the brakes doesn't change the sound.  I'm going to inspect the rear driver wheel/well. I'm thinking turning right puts more stress on that wheel so maybe the sound is coming from that side.

in a turn, force is vectored to the outside of the turn so, maybe start there as you say. After a run on the highway, compare the temperature of the rear hubs - side-to-side. The hotter one may have a bad wheel bearing or some craziness with the brakes. def check the lugs/studs too.

You could lift the 2 rear corners and try to lift/rock the wheel up/down in a 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock manner. Shouldn't be any motion. (again, compare side-to-side). I found a bad wheel bearing that way, the tire rocked about 2mm.

Some folks say you can rest a hand on the spring and rotate the wheel - feeling for roughness/vibration.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan