Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition timing/ timing issue?

Car im working on

1990 Subaru Loyale EA82T

Ok so my car has been running very sluggish lately. So i started doing some reasearch and descovered that ignition timing and or timing is probably my issue. So today i re set the iginition timing. i pull the distributor out and the cylinder #1 spark plug. I found TDC and set the timing to 0* (after I checked the drivers side cam for the hole to line up with the top mark) i put my distributor back in with the rotor facing toward #1 bank and put everything back together. I started her up and she was very boggy so i adjusted and then checked it with a timing light. When it was running some what ok it was at 0* timing ( I believe it needs to be at 20* forthe 87 and up turbo models) and i couldnt get it to go any higher because i maxed the adjustment out on the distributor. So could my timing possibly be off a few teeth? the belt did feel a bit loose for my liking. Just wanted to pick some brains before tearing down the front of my engine/car.

Let me know what you guys think

thanks

Timing procedure, rotate crankshaft until you spot three hash marks on flywheel through port on bell housing. Line up tab on bell housing with middle hash mark. Now with that lined up, rotate drivers side cam shaft until alignment hole is pointing straight up. Install belt. Do one entire rotation of crank until you get back to hash marks. Drivers cam alignment hole should be pointing straight down. Turn pass side cam until alignment hole is pointing straight up, install pass side belt. Done.

• Like 1