Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water inside rear lens assembly on 01 Legacy wagon?

I am getting a lot of water inside the rear hatch mounted lens assembly on my 01 Legacy wagon  I am getting a lot of water inside the rear lens assembly on my 01 Legacy wagon.

Lens meaning the large red plastic component with SUBARU on it.

How much water? when I open the hatch, water trickles out of the access flaps for the rear lights,  it's coming from around the bulbholders for the running/brake lights on the hatch. It's been raining lightly this morning, nothing serious, I can't imagine what it will be like when it really rains.

There was a small crack in the lens assembly just about in the middle of the SUBARU lettering and I caulked that as a test and it did nothing to slow it down.

I cannot find anywhere that looks like it's a spot for a leak, has anyone seen this and know where the water is coming from?

Thanks!

I had a similar problem years back on an old VW, in that the front marker light lens would fill up with rain water. It would take a long time to fill with water, and I could not see where water was entering the lens. So, I took and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the lens to let the water drain out. That worked well. Eventually, the drain hole would fill with crud and plug up. I would either re-drill the hole, or clean out the crud with a sharp pointed tooth pick.

My 2000 & 2001 obw both had this problem .. removing the entire light assembly and sealing  with form a gasket is how i got mine to stop. Be glad you don't have a limited edition with a sunroof , mine  leaked horribly ... turned out to be the body seams ... had to remove the headliner to find & fix it ! 

Wow, usually sunroof leaks are the drains being clogged. My 98 LGT had a sunroof, I ended up having to replace the entire sunroof assembly, what a PITA!

Yea, my outback had the same trunk leaky issue, I just ignored it...