Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Resonators are non-restrictive. They typically have a straight through pipe that has holes in the sides, surrounded by fiberglass. The major consideration for restriction is the diameter of the pipe.

Alright gotcha. Need to replace the resonator on my 97 obs. Have full exhaust now, but with rear cat delete it is too loud with the glasspack muffler. Looking at an 04 sti resonator. I just don't want it too quiet haha!

Alright gotcha. Need to replace the resonator on my 97 obs. Have full exhaust now, but with rear cat delete it is too loud with the glasspack muffler. Looking at an 04 sti resonator. I just don't want it too quiet haha!

Doubt that any resonator will be quieter then a glass pack, if anything it will be louder. Suggest looking for a short regular design muffler. I cannot remember a brand name, but if you look on line, I bet you will find something. Good chance it will be quieter then a glass pack, yet not that quiet.

Another thought.......go to www.flowmastermufflers.com. Flowmaster mufflers will surely have something you will like.

Edited by Rooster2

A glasspack IS a resonator. Its a pipe surrounded by fiberglass.

The main point of a resonator is to help absorb some of the raspy sound that you can get from a straight pipe.

You need an actual muffler to make it quieter. Flowmaster sounds decent, but a lot of Subaru people go with Magnaflow. Advanceautoparts usually has a small assortment of standard magnaflow mufflers for about $100 each.

Yea I currently have a Magnaflow muffler on the car. I like the muffler, but with the rear cat delete and the stock resonator, headers and hi flow cat its a bit too loud. I'm looking at an sti muffler and resonator for 50 bucks. Just wondering about the flow of these. I want the car a bit quieter, but still deep. I'm at 2.25 pipe all the way back to the stock resonator. I'm gonna go go 2.25 back from there once I figure out what resonator to go with.

Will a longer resonator quiet down the exhaust or just the raspy sound? Im gonna be adding a fresh long block with ported heads and deltas soon. I suppose it will be even louder then. I would go with the STI muffler but Im not sure if it will increase the backpressure since it will probably be quieter than my Magnaflow.

I don't think the amount of back pressure is that important. Sure a little less back pressure makes the engine run a little better, but if taken to the extreme, back pressure that is too low, will make the motor run worse.

If it is a good rumble sound to the exhaust without being obtrusive, then a performance muffler is a good choice.