Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My tire fell off :(

Luckily I was going very slow!   Not sure of the names for the problem parts yet haha.

So the knuckle that is on the bottom part of the wheel assembly came out of the lower arm that connects it to the car. Pretty much dragged my tire under the car for 200 feet. 

Pictures will be up in a few hours after work. Hoping I can revive ole Michael J fox :(

It looks like the previous owner did work and either never put the bolt/pin on. or the little pin snapped and the bolt eventually fell off. 

I have not pulled the tire off or popped the hood to see what the damage is. I'm just praying its not horrible as I am a poor man.

I've had this happen to me also. Luckily I was only going about 40km/h (25MPH). Kind of could feel what happened & stomped on the brake pedal to lock up the wheels, causing the car to skid left.

Problem was I was in a small country town, on the main street, which was due to be closed 15 mins later because of the annual parade... :o

Alright so the full scoop!!!     The idiot that replaced the ball joints (Lord knows how long ago!) Used a 20 gauge solid wire instead of the nice solid pin that should be in there.  Fast forward a lot of rust..... The wire failed followed by the bolt falling off then inevitably the wheel assembly and tire. The quarter axle popped off the transmission along with the boot.   CV seems like it may be fine if I replace the boot.   Strut seems to be solid as well as strut mount.   So if my check comes by Friday I will be replacing the ball joint, quarter axle boot, Struts and mounts  and hopefully not the tye rods control arms or brakes.    Sorry I didn't get any pictures while the wheel was under the car. My top priority was to spare any unnecessary damage.   I can snap pictures of the progress while repairing and cleaning up the frame around the wheel wells if you all would like!