Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?con rods same EA81 to EA82?

I have made a move towards one of my dreams - may be a nightmare by completion though :) - pulled pistons from an EA82T that was described as the PO best most powerfullest EA82T ever, then it blew a hose and was never the same :(

It never got hot though - according to PO - maybe on the gauge, musta got hot to some extent as after that event never went the same.

Wondering if I can use the EA82 conrods in the EA81 or were crank journals different diameters/widths in standard size?

Be easier knowing pistons and rods have same brothers in the EA81, same gudgen pins too.

I found some scuffing on one piston - top side of #4

The rings, look OK at first glance, thin ring to the top, but oil rings don't look too expandy

Idea is as experimental to try used EA82T pistons in a std bore EA81 with just maybe a hone not a rebore

Looking for lower comp to try a different EA81 - Shove EA82 turbo pipe and turbo on it, feed it propane only and see if I can achieve a minimalist low budget turbo that fitrs neat in a Brumby

Any experience with mix and match of above bits be appreicated if you can warn me off or encourage me to keep going with the dream :)

I got pistons out no worries, pins came out easy with my old faithpul puller and I used the short end of the jack winder tool poked through the gudgeon pin plug holes, some rag to protect the thread.

Also looks like can now just pull rods out if i can undo them down deep :)

thanks fer reading

Edited by jono

yes, thanks, helps towards the project. I managed to get the rods out as well without any sump, pump, pan removal or splitting the block!

But, then I read this

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/142638-ej20-stroked/

post #5 and #7 of interest so to the forum section , think I have overlooked it before !

hmmm...

The big end bearings looked a littl worse for wear, some scoring, pitting and I suspect a little mashing.

I sold my best set of EA81 rods and crank in a bad moment, so hope the 500,000km engine is in non machining rebuild state to handle the power of being pumped !

I think it could be possible but really fiddly to do same but backwards - installing pistons and rods into the EA81 without a block split - but rough as guts :)

The donee EA81 has done 140,000km since I did a sump off clean up - be interesting to see how clean it has remained.

Been looking through manuals specs that suggests the diameter of the con rods crank pin is exactly the same between later EA81 and EA82, now....for a rod comparison

Edited by jono