Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LED work lights or light bars

Uberoo

I was looking for various led lights to replace the lights on my old honda trail 90 because 6V lights are kinda dim,and now I am thinking of LED offroad lights for my brat.On my old silver 84 wagon I had 4 55w halogen lights on its roof, and I could see fine on the trail.Those lights never made it onto my hatch before it died so they are just sitting in my garage.I recently got to see first hand how bright some of those LED light bars are, and it was a real eye opener.Talk about surface of the sun!Most of the lights did a fantasic job of turning night into day,but they were so bright and overpowered that having them on in a group trail ride would be a big NO NO.Then I found some "underpowered" 15w led work lights.They are not much brighter than a standard 100w bulb but offer serious power reduction.The 4 55W lights draw a combined 220W or 18.33A,on the other hand 4 15W leds draw only 60W or 5A-exactly the same as one of the other lights.At 5A a relay is not needed,and much thinner and cheaper wiring can be used,and that unused 13A can go towards powering other devices...

So, has anyone used the led worklights or led light bars on their offroad critter?I dont need light powerful enough to drive 200 mph at night,I just need an area of daylight 50-100ft in front of me at 10 mph..

I have one of the no name 24" bars from Amazon and it put out tons of light with very little power draw.  Only suggestion would be to take it apart and reseal it as I have noticed some moisture inside.  I also bought a 4 LED small bar to install on the interior but it would make a good rock or low spot light.

jIi9OMc.jpg

Those light bars are so bright almost too bright they are sweet but i realy dont need that kinda light and i was afraid it would interfere with the surfboard racks if i put it on the roof and it would be blocked by the winch if it was on the bumper ive had 2 little 25w incandesent lights on my bumper for a while recently ive added 8 9w 3"round leds at about 110 lumes 4 in the bumper and 4 mounted on my winch there all flood lights there as bright as my headlights but dont have the throw maybe 100 ft of light they sure look cool and the blueish light realy nice when mixed with the orange light of the headlights

20150508_070903_zpstpaopk1v.jpg

20150508_070850_zpsosyberdd.jpg

20150423_204914_zpsm0el3vsp.jpg

20150423_204856_zpsdismgfsr.jpg

20150412_081917_zpsqyad5ewc.jpg

I got mine form Amazon.  6 inch bars.   They're 3500 lumens each, but only draw 17watts or something.  They make great light for wheeling at night.  If I had it to do over again I'd get the 14 inch bar that had spot an flood built into it.  Mine only flood.

They wired right into my factory fogs which are rated for 55w.   

cSIYYP.jpg