Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Queistion on locking center diff

I am slowly starting to look for a nice Subaru GL wagon to start a daily driver/ trail rig project on. I am just currious do all GL's come with the locking center diff? And If they dont then is there an easy way to identify which ones have them from say a CL add? is there an idenityer in the vin? or certian years? I have done some digging on here and cant seem to find a clear ansewer.

If anyone has any adivice on picking the right Base wagon for a decent trial rig id love to hear it!

Thanks for your time!

Unimog517

Here in europe there is a gl-10 equilevant version that has dual range awd tranny with center locking diff. I myself obtained one of these transmissions from my raised roof air suspension turbo wagon. So the same tranny as in rx.

"The 87 and up rx's came with a 5 speed dual range awd trans with center diff lock. So did some gl-10s but from what i've seen they only came with a s/r. High end models also came with a 4eat instead of the 3eat which are supposed to be as good as the ones in legacys."

Thanks man! This is what i wanted to know!! Real big help!

you're wanting an MT i guess?

Terminology aside - the GL's still "lock" when they're put in 4WD so depends why you're asking and what you're after.

Do you mind 2WD and "locked" 4WD?   then any MT GL should work.

If you want 4WD with a locking center diff - then that's a different story.

You have a unimog?  I worked on one last year, crazy machine.  My best friend is an addict.