Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some ideas on getting a block clean

Ok, so I'm trying to clean my block which is driving me nuts.  I don't want to put a nasty dirty block back in the car.

So far I've used foamy and the normal engine degreaser + pressure washer at a car wash (maybe I didn't let it soak long enough?). 

with both of these I sprayed it, let it soak for 2 to 5 minutes, then hosed it down.  Then repeated till all cans were empty.

I've now torn the block down further and tried Purple Power and an Orange cleaner I had.  

Here is where I'm at.  I've worked at it some with a steel scrub bad (not steel wool but I will pick some of that up).

20150516_150748_zpsqf02n23u.jpg
20150516_150743_zps79ylba4k.jpg

Ideas?

I get good results with lots of hand work. I find that WD-40 melts the grease and dirt off pretty well. It also doesn't seem to be corrosive like some of the more harsh cleaners. I have a collection of old brushes that fit in to all the nooks and crannies, such as old tooth brushes, bottle brushes, finger nail brushes, various plastic scrapers, small wire brushes, etc. It takes a few hours but the results are always worth it ;)

I would sure like to hear of a short cut that doesn't involve some sort of media blasting ;) 

Good Luck!

That thing looks like an old ford. That degreaser stuff in a can doesn't cut cooked on caked up crud like that. Wd40 or PB blaster work great for cutting heavy grease. Spray some, let it soak, spray a little more, scrub, repeat. After a little scrubbing you'll start to see the silver streaks of the aluminum in the brush marks through the grease. Hose it down with some brake clean after you start seeing the silver.

Compressed air works wonders as well.

• Like 1