Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 stalling at idle

Hi all,

My Loyale is stalling at idle, when I turn it over, it immediately dies about 85% of the time. If I have to downshift, it also stalls when I engage the clutch pedal, resulting in me having to coast and restart. When I come to a complete stop, it also stalls out, resulting in me having to turn it over and accelerate rapidly just to keep from stalling again. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?

Edited by tyeira1987

This includes leaks or a leak in the intake boot befor the mass air flow sensor. Even a smaller leak can throw the MAF readings off enough to stall at idle. Things like this arent real easy to check for with a car that wont idle. At least on these cars there isnt a whole lot to check.

How blown are we talking? Huge billows of white smoke with gray/brown foamy meringue filled radiator and crankcase?

If its not, or its only running a bit warm with some small signs of failures Im going to throw something out here that I will be crucified for... Google "Sodium Silicate": Bars leaks 1111, steal seal, etc. forget the higher dollar treatments that are labor intensive and require flushing and running for ever with water only bla bla bla. If your going to go thru all that just do the HG. Poor it in and go juice is what you want. This is no definative repair, and it does leave gel like stuff the the cooling system. You can always tell if this has been used when you pull the rad cap. If you are not equiped to deal with a head and or gasket repair right now and the car is just a short trip around town rig this is worth looking into. Otherwise what will be the cars fate?

To you pros out there I hate fixacan crap too, so blast me if you will, but Im hearing that manufacturers are putting small doses of this stuff in their antifreeze to help prevent issues from poor castings and such.

Sorry for the bad news.

Edited by ihscout54
  • Like 1

How blown are we talking? Huge billows of white smoke with gray/brown foamy meringue filled radiator and crankcase?

If its not, or its only running a bit warm with some small signs of failures Im going to throw something out here that I will be crucified for... Google "Sodium Silicate": Bars leaks 1111, steal seal, etc. forget the higher dollar treatments that are labor intensive and require flushing and running for ever with water only bla bla bla. If your going to go thru all that just do the HG. Poor it in and go juice is what you want. This is no definative repair, and it does leave gel like stuff the the cooling system. You can always tell if this has been used when you pull the rad cap. If you are not equiped to deal with a head and or gasket repair right now and the car is just a short trip around town rig this is worth looking into. Otherwise what will be the cars fate?

To you pros out there I hate fixacan crap too, so blast me if you will, but Im hearing that manufacturers are putting small doses of this stuff in their antifreeze to help prevent issues from poor castings and such.

Sorry for the bad news.

Yeah, it's billowing clouds of white smoke. And the oil dipstick showed no oil even though it was changed last week.

billowing clouds of white smoke. And the oil dipstick showed no oil even though it was changed last week

So are you using oil only and not antifreeze? Oil consumption is not a key symptom of a HG issue. Things like bubbles in the radiator, crankcase fluid mixing, running hot, and sweet n sour (more like acrid smelling) steam from the exhaust are a little more common. What makes you think HG?

Other possible cause of massive white smoke is broken intake manifold gasket or throttle body seal.

Remove radiator cap, if not full of coolant, add water, start engine. Are there bubbles? Also, typical of the blown headgaskets I have experienced, coolant gets pushed out of the recovery bottle. One of the worst ones, coolant leaked into the crank case, mixing with the oil.

So are you using oil only and not antifreeze? Oil consumption is not a key symptom of a HG issue. Things like bubbles in the radiator, crankcase fluid mixing, running hot, and sweet n sour (more like acrid smelling) steam from the exhaust are a little more common. What makes you think HG?

It had antifreeze in it, I topped off last Monday. I just think it's funny that I did an oil change and not even 700 miles later the oil has gone. And it's not only the the exhaust system that's billowing smoke, it's also the engine compartment. And this car didn't do that when I bought it. All I know is I can't drive it, and it's stuck 74 miles away from my front door