Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Left front vibration after changing ball joint

My 98 Legacy L Wagon pulls a bit to the right so i took it to Midas for an alignment...which they wouldn't do because the ball joints were shot. I replaced both this weekend and now I have a vibration coming through the steering wheel when making turns at low speed(5-10 mph)... and it still pulls:(.

I'm worried that moving the knuckle around trying to get the back joint out may have perturbed a bearing or CV. I was already planning to get new tires and an alignment, but Im not sure if I should go ahead and try that or just take it to a shop for the vibration. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

The lug nuts are tight (72 ft-lbs). It only happens when the wheel is turning and the car is rolling. The tie rod ends look good and don't have excessive play.

I thought about the rack, too, but it doesn't do it when the car is sitting still. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

No hope that the alignment is just so far out that it could be the culprit?

Edited by tonsofmike

Mike,

Welcome to USMB. Sorry to read about your vibration problem. Glad you got your car back together after a lot of sweat. Low speed vibration can be difficult to problem source. Suggest you return for a front end alignment, tell them of your vibration problem, and have their tech search for anything loose in the steering, or suspension that could be causing your problem.

Regards,

Larry, your neighbor from around the corner, with the 3 yorkies.

• Like 1

Hi Larry! Thought I might see you on here since we were discussing it the other day.

I wound up taking it to the dealership today since I need to drive it this weekend. They claim that the vibration is coming from the steering rack and that one of my new ball joints was faulty and that's what caused the issue.

I don't buy that 100% but i guess stranger things have happened. I already had them replace the "bad" joint, but I'm holding off on the rack until I have more time to investigate for myself.

seems a little like a bad CV joint.

is the vibration felt "in the car" or "in the steering wheel" ?

might also confirm no brakes are dragging.

I feel the vibration in the steering wheel itself. The dealership told me the left front brake is grabbing a bit but I don't think that's the issue (and they didn't either). The vibration is pretty high frequency compared to the rotation of the wheels.

Edited by tonsofmike

look in the PS fluid reservoir while idling - I've had air in both my soobs' PS fluid and the WRX had this high-frequency 'notchy-grabby' feeling when turning. But, it would do it when parked and working the wheel back&forth.

easy fixes - just o-rings. Sometimes it's a bad hose or clamp or tank.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Hi Larry! Thought I might see you on here since we were discussing it the other day.

I wound up taking it to the dealership today since I need to drive it this weekend. They claim that the vibration is coming from the steering rack and that one of my new ball joints was faulty and that's what caused the issue.

I don't buy that 100% but i guess stranger things have happened. I already had them replace the "bad" joint, but I'm holding off on the rack until I have more time to investigate for myself.

Your original post implied that the vibration started after replacing the ball joints, and not before. If so, it is difficult to understand how the steering rack could be the culprit. I am always wary of a dealership wanting to throw parts at a car in hopes of fixing a problem. Having them "throw on" a new rack would not be cheap, nor any firm guarantee that it will correct the problem.

If you have the time, I would like to drive your car to experience the vibration problem. Maybe I can help better to diagnose.        Larry

I had my new tires installed today since we're going to take the car on a trip this weekend. When I got home I went out to try and make a video for Fairtax4me.....and the vibration is gone. It acted up as I pulled into the parking lot to drop the car off for new tires, but it hasn't done it since they were installed. 

You can bet I'll be paying attention to it this weekend, because now I'm really scratching my head...

• Like 1

Vibrations from tires are really common.  One tire could have been out of balance or there could have been internal damage to a tire that you couldn't see.  Tires are probably one of the highest causes of vibrations in a car.

Next I would say are front brakes, but that is usually only when braking as well.