Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did duty c mod now 'at oil temp' light is blinking

First time I ever saw this light was last week when I was messing with the axles. Once I got everything back together properly it went off just as I was told it would...But me being me I cant leave well enough alone so yesterday I went ahead and did the duty c mod so now I have a switch to 'lock' everything up when needed. Awesome!...I thought. Switch works, when u turn it to on you can really tell its doing what its supposed to.

Problem is after I thought everything was all good the at temp light came on and now wont go off. So my question is why now? I understood why it went on when I pulled my axle out. Really all I did by doing the duty c is essentially lenghten the wire with a switch in between. So I was hoping someone could chime in as to what the ***** might be going on.

I tried unhooking the battery for a while and that made the light go off for about a minute, now its back on. Looked under the dash and dosent look like i bumped or pulled anything else loose. My solders are all solid. Im thinking it must be a computer thing since I highly doubt the temp is getting hot enough for the light to come on as soon as the car starts. This seems to be par for the course lol I cant seem to fix one thing without breaking or destroying 3 or 4 others!

So once again any help or thoughts anyone might have will be very appreciated.

Hi,

I've not done this mod recently (but want to on my '96)...but I think you need turn OFF the switch BEFORE turning the car on/off. It can't be left ON all the time, IIRC. It should've stated that in the Mod Thread.

If you ARE turning it off/on then.....well, wait for more replies.

GL (hope I'm right?),

TD

I think you need turn OFF the switch BEFORE turning the car on/off. It can't be left ON all the time, IIRC.

The position of the switch doesnt seem to matter when starting the car. Light comes on with switch in either position

If the light id flashing it means the voltage seen by the TCU on the wire is too high (open) or too low (shorted).

How would it see any other voltage than what was already there? All I did was lengthen a wire. I checked the wires going to the switch I added and they look good no nicks or anything so Idk.

what year car?

check your ground wires on top of the engine.

always on is really weird,

check all of the connectors.

turn the switch to normal AWD,

and start and stop the engine with out driving it.

then restart,

any change?

i agree with dash.

it sound like it is wired wrong.

remove the switch and wire it back like normal.

find the fault, and fix it.

then re-do the switch.

Edited by johnceggleston

Ok now I feel like a dumb a$$! I pulled the wires back out and started all over and it seems that the switch I wired in was faulty  :wacko:.

After rewiring and soldering it back up still had the same problem so after getting frustrated figured I try a different switch and bingo! That seemed to be it

Now its working like its supposed to!

So needless to say Im pretty stoked that it was error on my part and not just something else added to the list of things Ive broke or managed to mess up lol.

Thank u guys for the replies and help! I really appreciate it. If it wasnt for this board and all the awesome selfless people willing to share their knowledge Im sure a lot of people (myself included) would be up you know what creek without their paddle. I spend countless hours on here almost everyday reading through the posts and it never seems to fail, no matter how big or small the problem is, there are always multiple people willing to jump in and help out. 

So Thank U!