Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Last night I bought an 01 forester with 42k miles. The test drive went as expected. It needed an alignment, and brake pads, so laid down the cash.

On the way home however, I noticed the temp gauge rising and dropping pretty rapidly. It never got into the red, but after getting out, I could smell it being hot. It also needs wheel bearings....

The oil didn't look milky, and the antifreeze looked topped off. Could this be a plugged radiator, thermostat, or water pump issue?

you must confirm the car has; proper coolant level in the radiator, not just the overflow and, correct subaru-style thermostat (with large wax capsule)

I also have put small zipties to clamp the overflow tube to its nipple of the rad. neck.

Puttin the front of the car up at an angle can sometimes help work air bubbles out of the coolant system.

new rad cap might be a good investment too.

typical HG failure will probabl;ly push coolant into, out of the overflow - may even see bubbling while idling after an overheat event.

interference engine, if you are not CERTAIN the belt and particularly the idler pulleys are newer than about 100K miles OR 8-9 years, then you should do a timing belt SYSTEM overhaul.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

diy? decent kits start in the low $100s .

hiring it done, figure about $80-$100 and hour and - I dunno, 2-3 hour labor charge(3 is definitely high-side for an experienced mech. i think, depending on what other minor service is combined with the TB I guess?)? some places may get a profit on parts so - $400 ?

call around, a good shop should be able to give a quote +/- 10-15% .

if you post your city in a new thread asking for a shop, maybe someone will have a recommendation.

if you suspect the car has a HG problem though, you need to confirm before putting good parts on it.

I read a lot, but have much less experience than many folks here - I did the TB service on my WRX last year - found the toothed idler very loose, noisy and a little wobbly. about 8.5 years, but less than 60K miles! The pulleys lose their grease over time and can seize or fall apart. My belt tlooked great but 2 pulleys were going bad. Would the car have made it to 105K like the book says? - I doubt it very much from what I found. Glad I did the service.

You also get a chance to look for oil weeping oil past cam/crank seals. Good time to throw new accessory belts on, change the coolant, put in a new thermostat.

not sure - but do a search and read up.

you def. want the Subaru turbo engine gasket s(or possibly one or 2 aftermarket) Multi layer Steel gaskets. And heads need light resurfacing. Probably do not want to do it on an engine that has had several overheating events or been severely overheated - possible bearing failure after expensive work would be a bummer. Some folks get junkyard engines, often low miles, and rebuild heads and timing belt system to swap in.

there are discussions here, over at subaruoutback.org , probably some youtube videos, etc. for diy. I have never done it.