Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some advice. Cant decide if its ball joints or axle noise

I've got an '08 impreza that is giving me fits. I had a clunking noise when I hit bumps so I changed out the sway bar end links. Now, I have sort of a popping noise when I hit bumps or uneven road. Not sure what it is. I've got two guesses and that's ball joints or bad axle. Any idea's??

If your sure the noise is in the front of car. I would disconnect the front sway bar and zip tie it still ,re-road test car see if it is gone. i  have had a lot of noises from the sway bar mounting bushings. W e would remove the brackets and install good h.d. chassis grease. Hope this helps

• Like 1

I only changed the front end links, not the rear but I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the front end. I've not checked on anything since I changed them out. If I rock the car pushing on the front end it does not make any noise at all. I will definitely check the bushings though. It doesn't help that the VIN number doesn't match anything. If I put the VIN number in the get basic parts from auto zone it says its a base model and the parts never match up. If I put it in Subaru to check for recall's it says its a premium model but my owners manual says impreza outback sport model. I'm really getting annoyed at this point. 

Edited by mcurr89

Left, right, or center? 

Happens at all speeds?

Drive over a speed bump to make the noise - with one tire at at time - do both do the same thing?

Have someone stand outside the car and listen.

Do the VIN's all match - on the strut tower, doors, title, etc?

I'm in Morgantown, if you're ever here I'll listen and have a look.