Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a tuner/programmer available for a first Gen Impreza 2.2L?

So I have got myself a turbo, and I want to put it on my 1996 Impreza outback sport. I have been tracking down parts to do this as well, exhaust flanges, fuel pump, injectors, ect. But I would like the ability to make my own ECU tune for the turbo, but really can't find anything on the net about it, so can I even use the factory ECU and flash it, or do I need a new aftermarket ECU?  I know that I can just simply put a STI setup in my rig, but I like the whole custom setup idea, gives me something to do.  So what is everybody suggestions for me to tune my rig? 

Thanks in Advanced, Harold. 

I don't think the Subaru ECM has been successfully reversed yet, meaning your best bet is to go aftermarket ECM or piggyback IF going with a custom turbo. If you have a WRX turbo or other Subaru specific turbo, use the ecm that factory dealt with it.

Don't forget you'll need a turbo oil pan or a nipple welded in for oil return, plus an oil line. If you keep boost reasonable and run premium, you can turbo almost anything. Also consider a front mount intercooler for better heat control.

I don't think the Subaru ECM has been successfully reversed yet, meaning your best bet is to go aftermarket ECM or piggyback IF going with a custom turbo. If you have a WRX turbo or other Subaru specific turbo, use the ecm that factory dealt with it.

Don't forget you'll need a turbo oil pan or a nipple welded in for oil return, plus an oil line. If you keep boost reasonable and run premium, you can turbo almost anything. Also consider a front mount intercooler for better heat control.

That's unfortunate that the ECU cannot be flashed, but the aftermarket ECUs seem to be pretty good anyway, is there anything specific I need to know about the Subarus when hunting down the right ECU? I am still not used to ECU, I am used to gm where they call them ECM, I know its the same thing though, lol. Thanks for the input.  

your best bet is a wrecked 2002-2007 wrx. Take everything including the EJ205 and trans, swap it over.. To get a turbo going on an old ecu, it takes a piggy back controller which has to force open loop under boost. This can trigger an engine light so it may not pass an emissions scan like what ny does. An aftermarket ecu wont work at all. Theoretically you could use a later model wiring harnesss but you could not run the 22e heads, you would need 251 or 253 heads and intake which should work.. It would be most cost effective tho to buy a wrx

Edited by matt167

Why won't an aftermarket ECU work? all it basically needs to do is control fuel based on the readings from certain sensors. The only reason the factory ECU cannot run the car, is due to the fact that they where never programmed to receive positive pressure from forced induction... Also I don't want to do an WRX swap, I want something different..Maybe I can just run separate injectors in the intake, and have them trigger on with certain amount of boost. It would be it's own separate thing, but it could work.