Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've got a 2005 Baja N/A 2.5 and have been told that I have some "lifter noise". The first time I heard that from somebody I was told I could alleviate the problem with an oil change using Lucas Oil Stabilizer. So, that's what I did. I recently heard someone tell me that they heard some lifter noise as well. I know that Subarus typically have a rougher sounding engine compared to some other makes/models, so I've attributed what I've been hearing to that characteristic. However now with winter approaching in Upstate NY, I'd rather not be working on the engine during a snowstorm.

I'm not sure exactly what they're talking about, or what this noise is supposed to sound like. Could someone explain what I should be listening for, what causes it, what the long term implications are if it goes unresolved, and how I can fix the issue?

Is this something that I should take to a garage to fix, or is this something that someone with limited experience should be able to handle?

You don't need a "Subaru only mechanic", but a good mechanic who knows Subarus.  It's a lot tougher in smaller areas to find a specialized mechanic and in some areas the specialized mechanics aren't as good as the all makes/models ones who know Subaru's.

As far as your noise, you need a second opinion.  Before even contemplating the repair you need to know what the noise is and how it affects the car.

One thing that can sound a like lifter noise at times is the timing belt tensioner, and if it's nearing 100k since it was last done it could likely be it.

But anything we tell you on here is a guessing game, which is why I'm saying go find out what it is. :)

As for Lucas, I've never seen it gum up an engine but if your over 100k a high mileage oil should have the same effect w/ no extra additive.

• Like 1

Dude, you never described the symptoms at all - just that people are talking about your car.  I wouldn't base anything on some passerby's commentary on your car, they probably don't know anything about that engine.

Describe the noise itself - precisely the sound and how it varies/happens.

Is it present 100% of the time?
Does it ever change?
Does it go away as the engine warms up?

It's probably piston slap which is benign and you can ignore it the rest of your life.

Or heat shields

Or if it is valve train related - have the valves adjusted properly.   In general Subaru valves get tigther as they age though so they don't typically get louder in that regard...

If the valves have never been adjusted in your car, and you are indeed hearing lifter noise that's loud enough for other people to comment on, you probably do need a valve adjustment.  It's a regular maintenance item in a SOHC engine since they are all "solid" lifters.  The process may require replacing the shims in the buckets with thicker or thinner shims.

Piston slap would be less likely because the piston skirts are fairly long on that engine.  Heat shield noise? Could be: that's a tinny rattle that will change with engine revs, movement of the car, etc.

First, identify where the noise is actually originating.  Is it actually coming from the heads?

Emily

That's the fun part. I've never actually heard anything that sounded out of the ordinary. It just sounds rough. There is a rhythmic click/tick that I can normally hear from the passenger side, but that tends to get quieter after it has warmed up a bit and doesn't sound quite so rough. Though I've never paid much attention to the noise, it does seem to me that the frequency is connected to the RPM of the engine.

I do know a mechanic who is helping another friend of mine rebuild a WRX after he blew the engine. I'll give him a shout next time I see him over there.

The car easily has 155,000+ miles on the engine and I have been using synthetic oil with a high mileage formula along with the additive. It's due for an oil change, so maybe that will help things out a bit.

In the meantime, am I correct that the common consensus is that it's probably nothing, but if it changes/gets worse I should get it looked at?

Just bought the car in March with 145,000 mi on it. So, that being said, I have no idea when much of the preventative maintenance was done last. I do know that it was previously owned by a Subaru mechanic, so I have assumed that it was well taken care of. But that is not always the case.

Any time I buy a car that runs great with mileage on it and people can't give specifics on maintenance items other than they were done at some point, I go ahead and do them anyways. So if it's running a rubber timing belt, it'll get changed, oil will get changed with synthetic unless it's really fresh, plugs, air and fuel filter get changed, plug wires if it has them get changed too. This way a couple hundred spent removes a ton of doubt. Plus, since most of these parts affect fuel mileage, it's actually saving me in running costs + removing doubt.